Scrivener error message, won't open

Ever since the last update, Scrivener has been:

  1. Giving this error message when opening: Errors reading project. Error: error reading template. Info: Line: 1 Column: 2 Error:1 I had looked up how to fix it but the solution didn’t make any sense to me, so I hadn’t fixed it yet. The program would always open up after the error message and I could use it.

  2. Working slow and eating up lots of working memory. (Funny, it did that before, but the update prior to this last one magically fixed the issue). Both times Scrivener was excessive with memory use it would use around 60.000-85.000K or so, sometimes over 100.000K actually.

Now, Scrivener won’t open at all. It just keeps operating in background using over 900.000K of memory. At some point it half opens only to tell me it’s not working (frozen). Meanwhile, memory use keeps skyrocketing.

I have not moved my Scrivener files or saved to a new location or anything like that. Nor have I backed it up via dropbox or any such drive. I have just made copies on the home drive and stick drives, same as I always have.

I’m not computer savvy, any help would be appreciated in the language you would use with your severely elderly grandmother.

Many thanks.

Think I may have solved the problem and am posting what I did in case someone else runs into the same problem. I do have one question, posted at bottom.

HOW I (THINK I) SOLVED ISSUE:
After some poking around on the forum I realized I’d completely forgot that I’d never been able to download the latest scrivener update. This is the message I would receive.

Installation and Runtime location mismatch
Scrivener is not currently running from last installed location:

Runtime location: ‘C:\Program files (x86)\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe’
Installed location: ‘C:\Program files (x86)\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe’

Took advice from forum and downloaded straight from website (instead of from drop down menu in Scrivener itself, which would generate the error).

After upgrading I could open scrivener, though it was still using up to 900.000K to get there. Once I clicked inside the program, it briefly froze, then became usable (albeit slow).

At this point, Scrivener was still using 126.000K just to run.

To solve the error message at start up (Errors reading project. Error: error reading template. Info: Line: 1 Column: 2 Error:1 ) I went to this post on the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=28270&p=180561&hilit=Errors+reading+project.+Error%3A+error+reading+template.#p180561

In the settings folder of my project I deleted a file called templateinfo, although TERRIFIED to do so (turns out I actually could follow what were simple instructions to do so). Because I don’t understand why this file was there. I have never to my knowledge saved any templates. I don’t use anybody else’s template, nor to I know how to make my own. Was this template file included in an update and thus showed up in my folder?

QUESTION:
My Scrivener project is 19.2MB. It is currently using about 50.000K. Just checked, and it takes 30 seconds to open (wow, that’s the fastest opening in MONTHS). Are these stats about what to expect? (i.e. I’ve lost all concept on what is scrivener slow or scrivener fast, or scrivener using excessive amounts of memory).

The templateinfo file is part of projects that are created from a project template and just contains the the information used to pre-fill the fields in the “Save as Template” dialog. If you create a new “Novel” project for instance, and then set that up to create yourself a new template, when you choose “Save as Template” you’ll find it already has the category set as “Novel”, with the Novel template icon, etc. That’s it. You’re probably going to modify the description field anyway, and maybe the others. So this file is purely convenience for that situation. If you never use “Save as Template” you won’t even notice.

Load time, CPU usage, etc. depends a lot on what is actually opening in the project. Since the project is made up of a lot of different files, the overall size isn’t as important as what you’re doing with them in the project. Opening a long Scrivenings session will be a lot more processor heavy than loading a single document. Opening a file with a lot of high-res images will take longer than one that’s pure text. If Scrivener is set to automatically load your most recent project as part of startup, that will increase the time the program takes to open.

I’d suggest leaving the project with just a single text document in the editor to shorten the startup time, then switching to Scrivenings once you’re in the project. (If you’re viewing a container as a Scrivenings session, you could just toggle out of the group view mode to view only the container’s text, for instance.) If you have a lot of images in the project, consider switching these, or at least the largest ones, to use linked images. You can then link them to smaller, lower-quality thumbnails to display in the project and swap those out for the high-res images when you compile. (You can read more on linked images in section 15.5.2 of the user manual.) You can also turn off the auto-load on Scrivener’s launch from the General tab of Tools > Options if you prefer to open straight to the New Project window and then select the project to load from there.