Scrivener files from Mac to Windows 7

Hello, I’ve been using Scrivener for Mac for a while and now we are working on the project together with my friend, who is using a PC with Windows 7. He downloaded Scrivener for Windows but it seems he can’t open files saved on my scrivener for mac. Is there any possibility we could be working on a single file (on dropbox) using this two different platforms? Thank you in advance for an answer.

If you are using Scrivener version 1 for Mac, then the project formats are not compatible. Version 2 for Mac uses a compatible format, and will automatically convert any version 1 files you open with it. If that’s not it, then can you describe in detail how you share the document?

from what I understand, Scrivener for Windows works with the LATEST Scrivener for Mac, but NOT with the earlier version

Hm, I’m using v.2.4.1 on Mac, and my friend just downloaded newest, trial version for PC, but he can’t open my project. Any idea why?

What is happening when he tries? An error? Buttons not responding? Unable to find the .scriv file folder?

What happens when he just uses the Windows file explorer and double-clicks on the .scrivx file inside the .scriv folder?

Rather than starting a new thread, I’m going to chime in here because I believe I’m experiencing the same problem. I’ve been using Scrivener on my Mac for a while now and am running the latest version. Today, my new Windows laptop arrived, I promptly purchased the Windows version of Scrivener, and have since then been trying to get my files to cooperate.

I have five projects I’m currently working on. All five projects open perfectly on my Mac. I copied them to a thumb drive, moved the drive to the laptop, and have only been able to get two of the five projects to open. The other three I can try to open from the file folder or through the “Open Existing Project…” dialogue, but either way nothing happens. I can select it, tell it to open, and then nothing happens. As in nothing. It acts like it can open it, I don’t get any error messages, I just don’t get anything at all.

For the sake of experimentation, I have tried copying the files to the thumb drive as well as opening the files on the Mac and using “Save As” to create a new copy on the drive. Made no difference. I’m opening the .scriv folder and trying to open the .scrivx file inside. If there’s another way I should be going about this, please tell me. I love Scrivener, but having to buy it twice is bad enough without having to deal with not being able to edit the same files on two machines.

Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance and my apologies to OP for the semi-threadjacking.

I’m running Windows 7 on the laptop and Mac 10.8.5 on my desktop.

EDIT: I’ve noticed that in the projects that won’t open, there are two .scrivx files within the .scriv folder, whereas the projects that will open on the Windows machine have only one. I don’t know why there would be two or what I need to do to fix that (assuming this has something to do with the problem).

Anyone? Still trying to resolve this Mac to Win thing.

Have you tried sending in the two projects that won’t open to tech support? We do like to take a look at projects that do not open, to see why that is and what can be done to fix it. We’ve already patched up numerous issues like this in the past, and it could just be you’ve found another we haven’t prepared for. If you’re concerned about confidentiality, you can use the Mac to make a copy (important), scramble their text contents with a few Project Replaces worth of common letters, verify it still doesn’t open on Windows, and then send that to us.

The double .scrivx problem usually occurs if you’ve ever done any synchronisation to the project in the past, like on Dropbox. It is trivial to end up with conflicted files if they are engaged before sync is done uploading/downloading.

I haven’t sent anything in yet but I will. I wanted to check here first in case someone else had encountered it and had a good solution on hand already. Up to this point, the files have only existed on the Mac, but content has been copied out of one project into another in an effort to merge two projects. I will follow up with tech support directly tomorrow. I appreciate the response!

I’m having the same exact problem. I use Scrivener for Mac 2.5 and have purchased a Surface Pro 2. I installed the trial version of Scrivener for Windows (ready for Windows 8).

Whenever I try to double click an existing scriv file, I either get the “New Project” dialogue box or if I have a new blank file open, absolutely nothing happens.

I’ve tried this on several scrivener files.

Hello Scrivvies

Has anyone gotten an answer for this since this updated post?
I just purchased a Surface as well.
Tested on a functioning project through dropbox.
I get a few folders but either they contain nothing or the .scriv file doesn’t open anything on the windows version.

I have no issue spending the money on the windows edition of my favorite tool in the entire world. but it would be cool if it opened the projects previously created.

Thanks