Scrivener for Chromebook

I searched for this but didn’t find a good enough answer.

How difficult would it be to get Scrivener working on Chromebooks? And I’m not referring to the Linux on Chromebook setups. I mean a true native app for Chromebooks running the ChromeOS.

I know that certain features like KindleGen, etc. wouldn’t be able to work because of the nature of the Chromebook. However, how about cutting that out of the ChromeOS version? How about making a lightweight version of Scrivener for ChromeOS? A version that utilizes the organization, layouts, templates, etc. of the Scrivener we all know and love, but eliminates the reliance on functions which are impossible to run on Chromebooks. Of course, Scrivener for ChromeOS should be able to run in offline mode and save its files locally. An option to sync with cloud services is only natural. I have Scrivener for Windows, so finalizing my work would be as easy as exporting any WIPs from the Chromebook to my Windows machine and final editing would be forthcoming. If I uploaded my work to the cloud, I could just download it using my Windows machine and voila!

I’m finally going to buy a Chromebook when the i3 version gets released, and I’m hoping that the people behind Scrivener have thought about developing for ChromeOS. I don’t know anything about software, so if what I’m proposing is ridiculous, please let me know politely :slight_smile:

It’s not ridiculous, but probably cost and time prohibitive… and possibly hardware incompatible/incapable… at least for now. Once it is out for iOS (iPad/iPhone running at least iOS7), L&L will apparently turn their attention to Android. After that… who knows… or in what order… Linux (formal port/support?), Windows phone?, Windows 8 (not RT) Metro touch GUI version?, Windows RT?, ChromeOS?, web based? Guaranteed that L&L has given all this serious thought. But there’s only so much time and resources available…

For a general sense of what’s involved, try searching the forums using some of the following…
Chrome, ChromeOS, Chromebook
Tablet
Android
iOS, iPad, iPhone
Linux

A Scrivener subset has been discussed and ruled out, due to the necessary underpinnings and that by the time you consolidate what various folks definition of subset means, you are at 99.9% of the full app.

Chrome is a moving target, depending on the manufacturer, year and model and whether are open to replacing ChromeOS with Linux or Windows (assuming the CPU is Wintel compatible). It may look more attractive and viable for a port in future years.

There is the option of using a Chromebook to remote into a Windows or Mac computer and utilizing Scrivener on them.

Best I can suggest is… decide what it is you want to do… decide what the app is to do it with… go with the hardware/OS platform that supports that.

Hope that helps.

POSTSCRIPT… Don’t want to hijack this thread, so posting follow-on comments here…

If one wants a Chromebook, fantastic… pick a writing app currently available for it, get the Chromebook and proceed.

If a difference of a hundred or a few hundred dollars is a deal breaker, take a look at cheap/affordable Windows laptops, either new or refurbished (manufacturer’s outlet stores on the Internet)… Such are available for not much more, and in some cases for no more, than Chromebooks. And they run Windows, which gives access to a wealth of writing apps, including Scrivener. And one can apparently install/get most of ChromeOS, inside Windows, as discussed in the following and other articles.
pcworld.com/article/2087889/ … ows-8.html

As for Apple laptops… I’ve always been a Windows fan and been put off by Apple’s attitude… but succumbed to an iPhone and an iPad… and am still wrestling with whether to consider an Apple laptop. Scan articles about and interviews with lots of writers and journalists and it’s clear that an Apple laptop with Scrivener is hard to beat and probably worth the price. Plus, if one really wants/needs to, one can dual boot between OS X and Windows on an Apple laptop… and one can apparently install/get most of ChromeOS, inside OS X, as discussed in the following and other articles.
thenextweb.com/google/2013/12/11 … mac-users/

Keep in mind that grief equals cost. Perhaps/perhaps not literal financial cost. But grief, none the less. If the platform you choose is missing or incompatible/semi-compatible with critical tools and features available at somewhat greater cost… is the up front savings worth the long term cost?

I’ve got no dog in the fight. Competition and alternatives is good. More power and God speed, to anyone, whatever they choose to go with. It is an exciting promising time.

At the moment, I’m on Windows desktop and iPad tablet (eagerly awaiting Scrivener for iOS). A year from now… don’t know… I could be pure iPad tablet or Mac laptop or Windows 8 (not RT) tablet (Surface Pro 3, Lenovo Yoga Pro 2, ???), once I get a feel for what routine mobile writing away from the desktop is like.

I can see how it would be very difficult in developing a native app for ChromeOS. I can also see how, if it was to be considered, the question of “is it worth developing for ChromeOS?” is a very important one that needs to be acknowledged.

quote"Once it is out for iOS (iPad/iPhone running at least iOS7), L&L will apparently turn their attention to Android."quote You mention this in your post. Doesn’t Google own Android? How similar is the architecture of Android with ChromeOS? I’m only asking that question because Google owns both, and everyone knows how companies like to consolidate what they own, especially their software.

quote"There is the option of using a Chromebook to remote into a Windows or Mac computer and utilizing Scrivener on them."quote While this could be useful, the main reason for me wanting the Chromebook is to take it to the park or other areas that don’t provide internet connection. I will use my Chromebook to write and only to write. It’s going to be my dedicated writing laptop, with the occasional web browsing. The speed and awesome battery life are factors difficult to ignore.

I could just buy the MacBook Air 13" and problem solved. But one thousand dollars versus three hundred doesn’t leave me with much choice. :slight_smile:

The path to success may lie more in the Chromebox hardware than Chromebook. Amazon is currently offering an Asus trio (Cbox, 21-inch screen, wireless keyboard & mouse) for $317. The Intel chip is an i3 and for more $$ you can get an i7 installed. With that kind of power, you may install a Vmware version of Windows, and then the Windows version of Scrivener. I defer to Jaysen for correction of these specs.

I’m not certain, but I don’t think the current or upcoming varieties of Chromebook yet include the i7 chip. When they do, then you may be able to run the Windows version of Scrivener, which as we know is still in gestation and not always fully compatible with Scriv for Mac.

Imitators of Scriv do exist for Chrome, but they are not compatible nor have much of a feature set. For now, the best use of Chrome is to draft materials in SimpleNote or Google Docs and export those items for placing at the appropriate points in a Scrivener project. One final possibility is use of Chrome Remote Desktop, where you may view a Scriv file, but I’ve not had much success with that route.

As a Chrome enthusiast, I’d say that this platform is definitely gaining more users who want an inexpensive, mobile, cloud-based way of writing. Before too long, a Chrome developer will build something that’s highly useful for that growing market, especially in education and journalism.

11.6" screen.

Android/chromebook uses low end atom (lower than i3). Once you get to i7, you are looking at win8. I don’t believe these are field update-able which means the $300 version is going to be pretty anemic.

Still, put linux of choice on the atom, run native scriv, and you have the best of all the worlds really. I’m not sure why folks think chromOS should do more than support web apps and google tools. If you know enough to understand what “it is” then just go with a full linux install and be done with it. Otherwise, buy a full system and get full os features.

Case in point re Linux laptops:

Gazelle Pro from System 76: 15.6 screen, i7 core, latest Ubuntu, $799.
system76.com/laptops/

Are any Scrivener users working with this or similar hardware?

That’s one hell of a deal for someone who wants a desktop ChromeOS machine. I’m very happy with my current Windows machine at home, but I need something ultraportable with great battery life. Only reason I’m considering a Chromebook is because of the upcoming i3 processor. Without the i3, I wouldn’t come close to buying one.

I’ll be more than happy with the i3 version of the Chromebook. And maybe, just maybe, I’ll consider Linux for it. Depends on how satisfied I’ll feel with ChromeOS. I think I’ll be happy with it. I get its purpose, and I’m not expecting a full OS. The lack of a full OS may be exactly why I’m drawn to it. Lightweight doesn’t always equal inferior.

I’m going to look up ChromeOS writing apps. Maybe there’s an open source one that grabs my attention and it’s better late than never to learn to code, right?

EDIT
I found this by typing ChromeOS into Wikipedia:
"Brin suggested that the two operating systems ‘will likely converge over time.’[39] The speculation over convergence increased in March 2013 when Chrome OS chief Pichai replaced Rubin as the senior vice president in charge of Android, thereby putting Pichai in charge of both.[40]

Scrivener for Windows works on Chromebooks using the Crossover app from Codeweavers. Your Chromebook needs to be Andorid ready.

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-chromeos

Works perfectly for me on Asus Chromebook Flip 302C.

Hopes this helps you guys looking for alternatives to Windows or Mac.

I’ve got Crossover installed on my ACER Chromebook R11, and Scrivener, as well. But I can’t seem to figure out how to open an established project from my Dropbox. I can reach the files in the Chromebook’s file manager (FileSystem for Dropbox). But in the Scrivener app, when I click “Open Existing Project,” I can’t get to the Chrome File Manager at all. The entire file list looks like a basic Windows one without any folders that I would find on in the Chromebook File Manager.
I tried clicking on the project file in the Chromebook file manager with Crossover and Scrivener open, but it can’t find the right app.

So how do I open an existing project using Scrivener in the Crossover app?

That might be a question best posted on a Crossover support forum as neither it, nor Android are supported by L&L

As Amcmo said, this is not a configuration that Scrivener supports, so you’ll probably need to contact the Crossover folks.

However, one point that may matter is that Scrivener will not open projects directly from web locations. The entire project needs to be present on the local system, in a location accessible via the standard Windows (or Mac) filesystem commands. In the configuration you describe, it would be Crossover’s responsibility to provide such a location.

Katherine