Scrivener for Copy Writers

Hi there,

this is my first post here on the forums, and I was wondering where to put it. Well, I figured “Sascha, before you go on requesting all sorts of unnecessary features, tell people about yourself and what you use Scrivener for.”

So, yeah, here it is.

I’m a writer of novels and short-stories. Most of the time, anyway. But as I sometimes want to be able to buy a beer, I also double as copy writer, mainly for web content. Sometimes, I also call myself a “technical writer”, but as I’ve never used Scriv to that purpose, well.

Copy writing it is, then.

I had been playing around with the demo version of Scrivener for ages before putting down the money. Not because I didn’t think Scrivener was a great application well worth the dough, but because I’m also an avid user of StoryMill (formerly Avenir) and didn’t think Scriv would replace it for my novel writing. I still don’t think so, but, well …

There’s the beer again. :wink: And a couple of weeks (months?) ago I realised Scrivener is the perfect environment for copy writing. At least for me. How so?

• I can put the actual information which needs to be in a blurb of writing in the synopsis.
  • I can freely reorder those blurbs in the binder. Or group them in folders.
  • Also, I get a word and character count of each individual blurb quite easily.
  • Then, all the material a customer sends me goes into “Research”. No more dozens of documents in the finder, just one .sciv.
  • Also, split view is a boon, as I can have the customers’ key word listings and old marketing stuff open at the same time I’m actually writing a specific blurb.
  • SNAPSHOTS. ’nuff said.
  • Compile draft as plain text, open in a Nisus template, assign styles, print to PDF, done.

In short: Scrivener is perfect for that first draft that, hopefully, the customer will like so much you won’t have to go over it all again. Hey, one can dream!

So, yes. That’s my story of why I use Scrivener for copy writing. I must say, Keith – really a very versatile piece of code you’re offering for a very fair price.

Cheers!

-Sascha

Yea, I am a similar boat as you. I work on novels mostly, but do copywriting on the side so I can eat and afford my liquid confidence. Scrivener has always looked perfect for both. I have not bought it yet, but I been saving my pennies for many months now to get a mac so I can buy and use scrivener. Steve Jobs should seriously make you an business affiliate Keith, after all the money you make them from converts. :mrgreen:

Actually I’ve recently found that scrivener makes an excellent technical writing tool and given that Framemaker is dead it’s probably the best tool on the platform. A couple of weeks ago I had to bring some work home (groan!); it was a 25k word manual that was a complete mess because several engineers decided they wanted to add/move/subtract large chunks of work without observing the niceties.

I brought the whole mess into Scrivener, chopped up the manual into folders and subdocuments and was able rearrange the sections, redraft text and then compile the document back to M$ Turd. By working on this project, I stretched Scrivener beyond what my novelling has to date and I was very, very impressed by how well Scriv handled it and expanded to suit my needs.

I’m truly amazed by Scrivener; it is the best and most versatile writing program that I have used on any platform. Suck on that one Adobe, MS, Madcap…

I’m another copywriter using Scrivener (and trying to convince my boss to get licenses for the whole department). I work for a large retailer that does several monthly buyer’ guides/catalogs. Every month there are a number of new products, updates to existing products, and packages of products combined for a specific purpose. The publications take everything from a huge database and assemble them in InDesign. My job is to write product copy. Some of the products are fairly technical, so there are multiple reference docs for research. Scrivener is an ideal solution. I can create a document (chapter) for each spread in the binder with sub-documents (scenes) for the new products and packages assigned to the proper spreads, import pdfs and word docs from the manufacturers into the research section, and define the sales pitches in the synopsis, and product bullet points distilled from research in the notes section. Then, when I’ve finished the copy, it’s easy to paste it into the Filemaker database.