Scrivener for iOS - When?

Not sure if it’s been discussed, or what your plans are. But I am getting ready to start writing my first business book, and would love to be included in any open beta you do for the iOS version.

WOOT!!! :smiley: OMG!!!

Sorry, my l33t persona got loose there for a moment…

I got a MacBook Air for Christmas (Hubby is The Best!) so I’ve been using Scrivener a lot more, but I want to be able to write when I don’t PLAN on writing when I go out…

Scrivener on all my devices – Scrivener in the car on the two-hour drive to the hockey arena – Scrivener in the Costco checkout line – Excuse me, got to breathe in a paper bag because I’m hyperventilating…

Are we getting the Scratch Pad in iScriv? Possibly with the same functionality of multitasking videos in the new iOS? That’d be nice. Not holding my breath, but it’d be very cool

Thanks for the enthusiasm and words of support, all, much appreciated. I’ll let you all know if we need more beta-testers when it comes to it, which should be next month, and how to apply if so.

marcoiac - no, there’s no scratch pad in Scrivener for iOS. However, it does fully support multi-tasking, so you can fire up Scrivener alongside another app and make notes in Scrivener, especially on the iPad Pro.

All the best,
Keith

is that something that you can’t even foresee, given the architecture of the iOS, or whatever coding reason? i love that little scratchpad thingy. anyway, i never doubted that some level of multitasking was in place, and that’s good

I’m not sure what a scratch pad would offer on iOS - it’s not like it could run separately from the app anyway, without being its own app. It would have to be its own thing in the projects screen. But no, there are no plans for it - there are no plans to add all the features of the desktop version, either. The iOS version covers a lot of what the desktop version can do, but is much simpler.

Well, if you heavily rely on it on OSX, you just can’t have that info when you use iScriv. But then again, I am not surprised it won’t be there in iScriv. It does look like a pretty tricky thing to implement

The scratch pad is a weird beast anyway, in that it is really just a window on a bunch of RTF and TXT files that you store in any folder on your hard drive. There’s therefore no reason why you can’t already use the Scratch Pad on iOS: just put your Scratch Pad folder in Dropbox and use your favourite iOS text editor to open and edit the files.

yeah, that’s what i am already doing (the dropbox solution) so that i can send snippets of text to it from Drafts in iOS. but it’d be simpler to access that info directly from iScriv. anyway, no biggie

Congratulations! Looking forward to the final release!

Hmmm, I’ll put my champagne on ice. Not sure about opening it just yet.

Not sure if this is the right place to raise this, but is there any advance information on how syncing will work between Scriv on the mac and on iOS? For example, will it use iCloud, Dropbox, an inbuilt sync function? I’m currently reviewing my sync strategy, and it would be useful to know - as I’ll be buying Scriv for iOS on the day it comes out. (It’s been a bit of a wait…)

For reference, my current sync strategy is to use Chronosync to sync Scriv files between a desktop and laptop, and Simplenote sync for iPad writing and editing. That strategy has many good things going for it, not least the automatic archive function of Chronosync, which adds lots of peace of mind. But it can be time-consuming and these days I’m getting used to the awesome auto-syncing of Notes and Simplenote. (I can write and edit on three or four devices simultaneously and nothing goes wrong. No reason why you’d want to, I suppose, but awesome all the same.)

Thanks for any advance info on how syncing will work. Or pointers to where the info can be found. (I did search but didn’t find it).

It’s been discussed a few times. Dropbox. At least version 1.0 will only rely on that, as far as I understand

Yes, only Dropbox will be supported for syncing, which isn’t to say that Scrivener will require Dropbox to function, it doesn’t rely on it.

Good News!
Looking forward to Beta (crosses-fingers) after all this time.

Congrats

We’ve all been waiting for iScrivener for a long time…so I can be patient. Now that you’ve announced completing the rewrite for the alpha…is there any ‘loose’ timeline for a beta? :slight_smile:

[emoticon:applause!]

Just broke the bank on an iPad Pro. This has made my day - soooo looking forward to Scrivener on iOS! Good luck with final stages of testing!

I noticed on this forum that Keith was talking about going to beta next month.

Thanks…I hadn’t seen that!

Add my excitement for the progress on iOS. I have been a Scrivener user for years and have been watching the forum (and Twitter) regularly for the iOS updates. I also have an iPad Pro ready and waiting and am interested in helping with beta testing when the time comes, but at any rate, congratulations. Scrivener is incredible… thank you for all your work.