Scrivener for iOS - When?

I think in some ways it’s like the difference between a blog post and a novel. A novel – or a big software application – isn’t just more words, it’s orders of magnitude more complexity. And until you’ve done it, it’s easy to delude yourself into thinking it’s easier than it actually is.

Katherine

I am retired from the software business, and the last time I developed for Mac was OS 9, but for this opportunity alone I wish I were current on the present systems… sighs

Thanks Keith for clarifying your position. I know most of your response was directed at Rusty74 but since you quoted my remark it’s only right that I give you a thumbs up too what was an honest and heartfelt series of responses.

I wasn’t offended, I guess I was just alarmed by the direction. There’s a lot of vitriol on this thread (some of it is borderline trolling IMHO) and my first reaction was that censoring posts was not the way to win hearts and minds. You are, of course, absolutely right to delete posts that break your rules, especially given that you have a spot for discussions of other software. I can see by your replies that censorship was not your intent - phew!

This thread did give me pause to look at Storyist out of curiosity and ironically I wouldn’t have bothered if Rusty’s post hadn’t been deleted. I haven’t tried it yet, just visited their website. From the outset, I can’t say I’d trust a non-blessed app whose devs have reverse engineered your file format. I’ve also tried Ulyses but even as a fan of plain text formats, something about it left me cold and the price they ask for a glorified, locked down, not-quite-open markdown editor quite frankly takes the pi$$. Scrivener on OS X is still the finished piece of writing software I’ve used in more than 30 years writing on silicon.

Anyway, like many, I’ve got a lot of hope for the iOS version of Scrivner, because after an impulse purchase of an iPad mini iOS has become my computing platform of choice away from my house (and often in it) because my computer is a fixed desktop. As good as OS X is, Apple hasn’t created a device running it that gives me the ability to work while standing in a crowded train to/from work or on a desk with a keyboard and everything in between. I don’t want another mac laptop - been there, done that; paying north of $2000AUD for a disposable, single-port rMacbook with a glued enclosure and soldered internals as a secondary device has zero appeal when I got my iPad for less than a quarter of that price. Given that I used to use a Palm pilot with a folding keyboard; the 8inch mini with its retina display is a luxury portable typewriter!

Accordingly, mobile-first has become more important to me. If Scrivener for iOS can preserve my project’s structure between transfers, let me do light restructing and draft in full screen mode then I will be happy indeed. But I’m not going to sabre-rattle and threaten to take my business elsewhere. I’ve been a happy customer since 2007 and since then every release you’ve shipped for OS X has been outstanding.

So I’ll wait; release Scrivener for iOS when you are good and ready! :smiley:

Hi Chris,

Indeed, I think was a little overzealous because of past issues in this thread. Generally our deletions are quite rare. (This has reminded me that I need to post the forum rules properly at the top of the forum somewhere easy to find.)

I actually think that Ulysses is a wonderful piece of software, created by a couple of guys who are passionate about and true to their vision. That vision never fit the way I write, as I like outlines and rich text (I tried it when I was looking for writing software, when I first had the idea of Scrivener and set out to see if there was anything that already did what I wanted; Ulysses came close, although it was very different back then - they stripped out a lot and rebuilt a very different app for their version 3). It is nice to see one of the innovators of our niche doing so well with their recent versions, though (even if I’d prefer people used Scrivener, ha).

Great to hear!

That’s exactly what it will be able to do - full rich text editing with project restructuring via the drill-down binder and corkboard. I’m not a big user of iPads (although I admit that I like my iPad Pro more than I thought I would with its smart keyboard), but I always have my phone with me, and having Scrivener on that is going to be great. (Actually, I already have Scrivener on my iPhone, but I need to do a bit more work to the sync code before I can use it as I want… :wink: )

All the best,
Keith

On posting rules at the top I doubt that will have much effect. Other online communities, such as NaNoWriMo, have sticky threads at the head of each of their forums. Enthusiastic posters never bother to read them and then bitch when their thread is closed as a duplicate or contrary to the rules.

I for one would prefer that you spend those few minutes on coding up Scrivener v3 for Mac and Scrivener v1 for iOS.

Perfect! I’ve got Scrivener on my Mac mini as the ‘kitchen sink’; the iPad meanwhile is my task-specific portable device and the iOS version by your description sounds exactly what I’m looking to slot into my writing workflow.

I was harder on Ulysses than I intended to be. It is a good product I agree but I don’t think its for me because I love outlining. Besides, if I’m going to write in Markdown, I’ll use MultiMarkdown Composer on OS X and Editorial on the iPad, both of which I really like.

Funnily enough, I prefer plain text and use it daily for my job as a technical writer. I’ve also used markdown in a text editor for a couple of projects that were very linear and when I was forced to do most of my writing outside of Scrivener.

That said, I’m starting to come full circle, at least for fiction and have gone back to rich text. Partly because it’s better with Scrivener but also because it creates a visual separation from my day job as odd as that sounds. I also came to the realisation that I honestly don’t need to grep, regex and diff the hell out of fiction copy anyway and Rich Text is almost as portable as plain text.

Having not checked in for a while I have just read a half dozen pages of updates. I have a couple of questions…

I see some discussion of Scrivio - can anyone tell me, am I right in assuming that the ‘sync with Scrivener’ that people are discussing is with the Mac version only?

Also, for KB, is there any possibility that in the interim, we could have a version for Windows that allows the same kind of Sync feature that Mac has. This would at least allow us windows users to use some of the same work-arounds others manage to use.

To add another question—will the ios version have snapshots? That is probably the feature I most miss when using Byword on my iPad.

I’m afraid not, no - the iOS version will not have a snapshots feature and there are as yet no plans to add one. It’s a bit out of scope for the iOS version.

All the best,
Keith

Hello All,
I plan on hiking the PCT in 2017, and want to take an iPad Air 2 (3?) with me. I would love to take Scrivener out into the wild with me for what is shaping up to be a leisurely six month hike from the border of Mexico to the Canadian Border.
My only question is this: if I compose a whole lot (WHOLE LOT) of things using Scrivener for iPad, is that going to be able to be synced with Scrivener once I return from Grizzly Adams’ habitat? It’s going to be six months of writing (at about 500+ words a day) to sync when I return to civilization. This is an absolute must.

Yes. Ability to synchronize with Scrivener on the desktop is one of Scrivener for iOS’s main reasons to exist at all.

Katherine

Lets hope Scrivener for iOS is out before then end of 2017 then.

For now, your best bet for writing on the go might be Notes (Apple iOS app) because it syncs so flawlessly to your desktop and then you can just paste any new text into the relevant .scriv file

Like you I’m hanging out for iScrivener/Scrivener iOS so I can get my whole project and its structure on my iPad. I have tried some third party software that supposedly accesses .scriv files but it’s just too clunky. It’s so much quicker just to write elsewhere and paste.

I noticed an IOS app called Scrivo Pro. It claims to be able to open, edit and sync with Scrivener files. I am assuming you guys have nothing to do with this app?

Scrivo, that has nothing to do with the Scrivener team, has been discussed here in this thread (p.39 ff). I think this post pretty well summarises the consensus:

I’ll add my voice to the chorus of folks who have been disappointed with Textilus/Scrivo. I’m an academic writer, and so I use a lot of footnotes. Textilus cannot handle long footnotes. Not only does it refuse to let you write footnotes more than a few lines long, but it will truncate any long footnotes it touches! Data loss is not cool.

I’m just glad I had Scrivener’s snapshots so that I could restore the deleted footnote text after I discovered what Textilus had done.

Thanks for the replies folks. :slight_smile:

So I loved Scrivener. It was a revelation all those years ago when I first discovered it. Now I’ve grown up and have a family, I’m no longer able to sit in front of the computer. I can grab some time with the ipad and take it with me to write silly stories. Alas, Scrivener, you’ve kept me waiting too long and I’ve bought Ulysses. It works brilliantly. It’s pretty much what I was waiting for. I still care about Scrivener enough to write on this forum and wish I had it on my ipad but there it is. We’ve grown apart.

Well, good luck with Ulysses. It’s a nice app although very different from Scrivener, so I suspect that if it fills your needs then you don’t really need Scrivener anyway. That said, I have finished the complete rewrite of Scrivener for iOS and it has just entered alpha-testing with the team, so I do hope you’ll at least check it out when it’s released.
All the best,
Keith