Scrivener for iOS: yea or nay?

I’m currently using the Mac version of Scrivener and have been thinking of getting for my 7th gen iPad, but I don’t want to go to the trouble if it’s buggy or doesn’t sync well. Anyone here have any feedback — good, bad, or indifferent?

I’ve been using the iOS version since it came out and the only problems I’ve had have been self-inflicted, generally because I’ve failed to close the app on my Mac (or left enough time for it to time out; I shortened that setting a few days ago). Where I’ve screwed up, Scrivener has always corrected the problem.

That said, I very much wish I could use iCloud to sync between the two devices, the way Ulysses does. It’s slick and automatic and you’d think there would be some way Apple could accommodate package files as Dropbox does or Scrivener could review its filesystem to accommodate iCloud.

However, Scrivener for my purposes has so many advantages over Ulysses I’ll live with the sync issues.

Honestly, Scrivener for iOS is useless and the single biggest waste of money of any app I’ve purchased for my iPad. I don’t use Dropbox and it can’t sync with anything else because… reasons… Let’s ignore how all of the other similar program on both iOS and Mac manage to do it, Scrivener can’t. And the Dropbox sync has a convoluted multi-step process that doesn’t always work properly because, again, reasons.

That’s not even getting into the fact I’m a Windows user for the desktop, prefer OneDrive and MS Word is part of my workflow.

I use the iOS version daily, and have used it to write literally hundreds of articles for my web site. It works solidly and I don’t think it has ever caused me any trouble. It is far weaker than the big versions, but the basics work fine for me.

I like the ios version. It is a complement to, not a replacement for, the mac/win version. The main benefit is the luxury of the form factor.
[edit] until today, when suddenly i’m getting a sync error

1 Like