Scrivener for iPad

Keith, resist all this palaver from the gadgetarians.
The iPad will be OK for e-mail and writing notes in Pages files.
But don’t mistake it for a writing machine.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro is a far better tool.
Bigger screen, faster chip, more text & reference apps.
More file storage, true multi-tasking, fast wi-fi;
Large keyboard, did I mention Scrivener?
And I’ll take a mouse to gestures, any day.

I would like it if AT&T offered 3g access for $15 a month, though. :bulb:

I am not going to write on a pad, and why would I buy a keyboard for it? I don’t need that. I have that, I call it my iMac. I don’t get all the hoohah about the iPad here? It is cool as a replacement for a netbook but that is just about it, making it leaner and slicker.

Sounds interesting to me! Because if we work in the library, we make quick notes and scribbles. Than @Home we work things out. Similar, it is imaginable to have only the “cards” of Scrivener (like a digital Hipster PDA).

If it comes to making choices, I do agree: I prefer the Mac—Scrivener te be developed and maintained. But is it really a matter of either or? :unamused:

P.S. Congrat with the 2.0, you guys made us curious. Now we have to wait (and support you guys): “Patience, my friend, patience…”

Being a writers forum you would imagine a certain amount of intellience. Yet, it seems, even when explained simply and precisely why this isn’t a viable project certain people still have to try it on. It’s like being back in school. You have my complete sympathy Keith as this is going to be the ‘iPhone / iTouch pared down app’ all over again.

Hi Keith.

When a company describes its own technology as ‘magical’, I get the uneasy feeling they’re trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I watched the video and it was the creepiest thing I have ever seen come out of Apple marketing. The Cupertino folk appeared to be attempting to hypnotise me through Quicktime. All I see is a big iPod, to be honest.

I’m not yet convinced that many writers are going to be bashing out epics on a tiny non-tactile keyboard, and if Apple thought they were then they wouldn’t have bothered with a keyboard add-on and if it needs a keyboard add-on then I’m more inclined to get a cheap Macbook and run stuff without restrictions.

Anyway, that’s just me.

What Rayz says.

Hi.

For me Scrivener does not make sense on a 10" screen. I remember when I still had my iBook, using Scrivener always felt cramped (to me - I know that Keith originally used an iBook for programming and writing). To make use of the Binder and of multiple views, I need a larger screen - 15" and more.

I find the iPad interesting and will probably get one - once the next generation is available. If I use it for writing (using a real keyboard), it will only serve as input channel to Scrivener. Just as I use a Windows notebook/tablet PC for writing on the road. All the new stuff will be imported into my Scrivener projects either through RTF files or through Dropbox.

So: I won’t need a Scrivener for iPad.

My 2 ct,
Franz

I don’t know if I am on the wrong side of the fence again, but for me it seems like the iPad fills a niche currently clunkily occupied by my MacBook. It exists on the sofa, on my bed, on sunloungers, on trains, buses and planes.
A MacBook is just too big. I have been considering an Air for a while, but it’s just overkill for the quick computering it would get used for. The iPad fills that niche quite snugly. And yes, it’s a large iPod touch. A larger screen is exactly hat it needed to migrate from smartphone to satellite computer. A larger screen makes it easier to work with for longer.

I am going to replace my MacBook with an iPad. There are only 3 programs I am going to miss: Journler, Curio and Scrivener. Realistically i can easily take notes still and then stick them on my iMac. That said, if it’s going to help at all, I would gladly put in any spare time and energy i can muster into figuring out this iDev business and hacking something together.

Yes.

Phil

I love reading what other writers have to say about writing, especially writing technology. These tech tools are such fun to play with. But, fwiw, I love my Macbook. I bought it on eBay the day after the first unibody MB Pros came out. It was two months old and loaded with the top of everything, but the guy who sold it just had to have a new unibody. It was a win-win for both of us.

I also love my Alphasmart: light weight, push-button easy to use, endless battery life, uploads files straight into Scrivener without a glitch.

I also love my iPhone. It’s my most portable computer. I can watch movies, listen to music, keep in contact with my office and know where/when and with whom I should be when I travel. I just completed a fast trip to Washington DC with lots of appointments. I never used a cab. The gps on my iPhone guided me from one appointment to the next without a hitch.

I also love books. I stuff them in pockets, my purse, my backpack or briefcase and they’re there, ready whenever I am.

Why do I need an iPad? I can see how it might be useful for giving presentations on the go, or for doing work in a large database I keep in Filemaker but could port (in selected pieces) to Numbers. Both of these are my real-job, bill-paying work. The iPad, because of its superior portability, might be helpful for that, particularly the database part. On the other hand, the iPhone might actually be better for these things. I dunno yet.

But, assuming the iPad is a better tool for business, why do I need/want it for writing? I’m still trying to figure out HOW anyone writes on an iPhone. If I ever get past that, I’ll give a thought to why they do it. If I wanted, I guess I could write in Pages on the iPad, then move it to Word and on to Scrivener. There are probably other ways to do it, as well. I’m sure Docs to Go will port to the iPad pretty quickly and that would work, as well.

But … I still love my Macbook. When I want to go light, I find the Alphasmart, low-tech and boring as it may be, is great. In fact, I often use the Alphasmart in my home, even though I have both a Macbook and and iMac right there beside me. The Alphasmart is a good writing environment.

As for putting Scrivener on the iPhone, iPad, Alphasmart, or whatever; it’s not necessary. Just use these other tools, then move your deathless prose to Scrivener later. Scrivener is irreplaceable; a reason in itself to switch to Mac. But it doesn’t need to be on every single gadget out there to do its magic.

I may buy an iPad in a few months, depending on whether or not I decide it will save me enough time on my real job to be worth it. I might even end up writing on it. But I’m keeping my Macbook. And my Alphasmart. And my iMac. And my iPhone.

Did I mention I also have a Shuffle?

I just realized that, since the iPad runs the iPhone os, it will also be able to run iPhone apps. That means Docs to Go is already ported to it, albeit in an incomplete version. Not good for me, since the database is essential, but it has a version of Word, which would make writing on the iPad and moving docs to Scrivener easy.

But, as usual, I love Pages, not Word.

I know that most of my heavy work has to be done with a true keyboard, and a true computer. So, while I’m fascinated by portable devices like the iPad, I understand that all I must ask them to do is help me write quick notes (or even long, free-form notes).

To do this I don’t need Scrivener. I can use any simple note widget. I use a full-screen editor like WriteMonkey when using my netbook (sitting on an Ikea laptop support for sofa workers…), or the Notes app of my smartphone. When back at the office, Scrivener is there for a smart Copy & Paste operation.

The iPad looks like having been conveived for consumers. We, as writers, are mostly producers. Macs will be our main tool.

Paolo

That’s the kind of thing I would find very interesting as well, especially if there were a way to make the interface quick and easy. One doesn’t need the full program on the iPad, only something that will allow one to work on sections while away from the main computer and then sync the sections easily. This would be very valuable when on vacations or out at the library or café or wherever.

I’m with you, Rebecca. :slight_smile:

No big writing for sure, but I can see myself writing a small report or take some notes on an iPad. As for the Next Big Novel or a PhD… I’ll be using my beloved MBP or iMac, as usual.

One more argument against “ScriviPad”:

The number of writers will not increase just because Apple starts selling just another gadget. In fact, I believe writers are a rather small market – and not a very wealthy one.

That means: Once somebody somewhere gets serious about writing, he or she will first get a real computer, with a real keyboard. In a lot of cases, this computer will be a cheap, old PC, inherited from an older, geekier relative or rescued from vanishing under dust. After that, there is still a lot of money to spend on backup devices, printers etc. - and as far as writing while travelling is concerned, most are better advised to take a notepad with them instead of an iPad.

The number of writers that will start writing and do so seriously on a virtual keyboard is, IMHO, neglectable. It will be about as large as the number of writers who write their immortal prose on their mobile phones.

:smiling_imp:

I agree, that there’s no need for Scrivener on iPad right now.Time will show if it becomes a viable platform or if it goes the way of the Newton. And if the iPad is here to stay, it will evolve. Reaction to the first iPod was a disaster, and it became an icon. The iPhone took some time to become an alternative to a Blackberry. This thing might be capable of being a writer’s tool. Right now it’s all potential, looking for an audience.

I can’t disagree with people complaining about the tech specs or multitasking, but I think those of you who don’t see the iPad as a potential writing tool are not considering all the options, or potentially write from home.

Those of us who write in libraries, coffee shops or bars (or wherever) seven days a week, 8 hours+ a day, will want this. The current setup for I, and many of my friends, involves carrying our macbook pro, one or sometimes two batteries, charger, a couple of novels, and a notebook. Needless to say, it’s heavy as sin and not quite practical.

Notebooks are out of the question. Windows, no thanks, and horrible screens all around.

The iPad, assuming enough developers jump on it, could be an incredible solution.
Pack your iPad, a bluetooth Apple keyboard ( by far the best keyboard I’ve used in my life, ultra thin, weighs nothing, and anyone who thinks they’re going to crank out 5000+ words in one go on a touchscreen are very naive), and you’re done. The battery will last you through the day, and all your reading material is on iBooks.

Will it replace my laptop at home? Of course not. But it’s not the point.

From looking at various forums, it seems the Ulysses devs are already working on a full blown iPhone/touch/iPad version. Same with Voodoopad. I deeply believe the iPad could be a wonderful tool when you’re not writing from home.

At the end of the day, though, I can totally understand why the folks behind Scrivener can’t afford it and can’t spend time on it.

Still, perhaps it would be a good idea to post on the blog and see if any iPhone devs would be interested in working on it. The idea of having Scrivener on the iPad makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It’s the very first software that came to my mind as soon as Apple announced the device.

I realize Keith put the kaibash on Scriv for iPad, which I fully understand. But I just noticed this on a screenwriting website discussing how screenwriters could use the new device:

So there you go. I wouldn’t be surprised if you guys are the next Wil Shipley, looking at your beautiful interface on this thing :wink:

One more thing…Scrivener’s most amazing feature is how open it is. The app has an incredible arsenal of import/export, so when someone does write the outlining/word processing app, I bet there will be a way to get it into our favorite Mac tool somehow.

Therein lies the problem- Someone will write a Scrivener like program at some point. This thing may take off in a big way in terms of streamlined OS computing. Taking the complexities that bring so much wasted time and frustration to the user experience out of the equation is very appealing.

This critter will be heavily used at universities where students desperately need to organize their thoughts and put them to “paper”.

I have to say that replies to the tune of, “Well, if you don’t do it, someone else will and they’ll make a fortune” (with the implication of “and that will serve you right”) really aren’t very helpful. I’ve already explained why we’re not in a position to look into something like this yet. Moreover, no one has held one of these things in their hands as yet, so whether they will take off as a means of streamlined computing has yet to be seen. So far as I can see as yet, and as has been pointed out by others, the iPad looks like a wonderful means of content consumption, but I still don’t see it as a surefire contender as a decent content production tool.

Moreover, Scrivener is a complex program comprising hundreds of thousands of lines of code. It is doubtful that the entire interface would scale to the iPad - not because of screen resolution but because of the limitations of the iPhone OS. We’ll have to see just how many interface classes have been added on top of the iPhone OS, as the iPhone can’t even handle outliner views and suchlike. Either way, I doubt anyone will be able to rip off Scrivener quite as easily as you think.

Besides which, for universities, Windows would be a much more viable option if we’re going to talk commercial opportunities - and on Windows, you can use a real netbook… Hmm…