Scrivener for MacOS 3.2.2 Where is the Metadata source defined?

I’ve tried searching multiple posts for this answer. I apologize if I’ve missed it.

I’d like to know where the default (not Custom) metadata is defined - the ‘actual’ data. In general, but particularly right now I’m looking for <$fullname> and <$author>. I’m trying to get my pen name to show up on my documents that I compile, but my real name keeps showing up instead.

I’ve updated the Author Information under the General tab of the Scrivener Preferences to my pen name, but still when I compile, my real name gets populated to the Title page. I don’t remember how I set anything up when I first installed Scrivener, but I must have entered my real name somewhere.

I appreciate if someone could set me straight here.

Thanks.

The Author Information panel won’t always change everything dynamically, because in some cases those values are used to create static text. For example the title page you refer to may have generated as static text when you first created the project (some use dynamic placeholders though; you’ll immediately see what I mean if they do). You just have to edit that file normally. The other place where the name can become persistent is in the Compile metadata tab, on the right side of the compile overview screen. And that is what drives the metadata for a project going forward. You can thus have a pen name that is different from one book to another.

I don’t remember how I set anything up when I first installed Scrivener, but I must have entered my real name somewhere.

When you first run the software it takes your user account name, which is probably where it got it from. And if it was a long time ago, it may have even filled in additional info and such from the system address book. We removed that a while back though given how obnoxious the handling became, with Apple making it look like a security leak was going on.

Ah ha! The “Compile metadata tab, on the right side of the compile overview screen”.

I can’t believe I had never clicked the little ticket looking icon to see where I could change author and name fields. Got it!

Thank you, AmberV.

-Patrick.

Leave no icon unexamined! You can hover over almost anything and get a hint.

1 Like