Scrivener for Windows experience on Windows tablets?

I’d be interested in hearing what folks who have used Scrivener for Windows on Windows 8 (real, not RT) tablets experience has been. I recall some discussion of small icons/text issues on Lenovo Yoga high resolution tablets… did version 1.7.1 for Scrivener help with that or were other workarounds/fixes found? Thanks to anyone who would care to share their experiences.

Here’s a link to an earlier thread discussing use on Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro…
literatureandlatte.com/forum … 30&t=26874

And a link to another thread that mentions something I didn’t think to try… (by bklvr)…changing font sizes of binder and menus to make them larger and more easily selectable. I’m going to run back out and give that a try.
literatureandlatte.com/forum … ga#p169087
UPDATE: This worked, as far as making them larger and more selectable. Though text in the Inspector got strange (lines overlapping/clipping). Moving a binder item via finger or stylus to a new location between two others items is still kind of iffy… very narrow margin for error. Wasn’t able to get a Ctrl+arrow combo out of the onscreen keyboard in order to use the keyboard to accomplish the move.

And another good link. howtogeek.com/175664/how-to- … rry-fonts/

Following is my own brief experience in trying Scrivener on a Surface Pro 3 tablet at the local Best Buy store… Short version… pretty sweet and I almost bought one on the spot.

I currently use Scrivener for Windows on a desktop PC and am planning on Scrivener for IOS (will require replacing my first generation iPad) when it comes out for mobile writing/editing and perhaps more. And perhaps for the larger iPad Pro, if it proves to exist and be released yet this year.

But I had a close call yesterday…

The folks at the local Best Buy were kind enough to download/install and let me try out the Scrivener for Windows demo on a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8 (not RT)… and I almost decided to change my mind and buy one on the spot. Not perfect, but pretty sweet, at least on first impression.

Scrivener’s traditional desktop GUI appearance was fine, at least for me, despite Windows 8’s default Metro/Modern GUI (which I tend to turn off anyway in favor of the traditional GUI, via Stardock’s Start8 utility).

Scrivener launched and ran fine, which is no surprise given that the Surface Pro 3 is a full blown Windows (“Wintel”, not RT) machine. Finger dragging of edges/corners, scroll bars, etc. worked fine, in general, as did stylus dragging. Same for text selection, menus, etc.

The main aggravation was in interacting with the binder (in portrait mode… I didn’t spend much time in landscape mode… I assume would be less or not aggravating in landscape mode). Binder items were a bit small (vertically challenged), which I generally like as it allows me to see more of the sweep of a project, but which proved a little challenging to select and a lot challenging to drag/rearrange via either finger or stylus. Don’t know if this is just a case of my needing to acclimate… as I had to do when getting started with the iPad… or a real issue. And I confess, I don’t know if there is a way to adjust binder item size/height (short of changing overall Windows resolution), as can be done for the editor windows. Would be nice, if could.

I ran into one sub-dialog scrolling region (down in File > Compile or Tools > Options, don’t remember now) that I could not scroll with finger, but could with stylus. Not a show stopper… and might have been my error.

I did not spend significant time in corkboard or outliner mode, other than to just toggle in and out of them.

Keyboard/cover… Keyboard and touchpad seemed useable, though would require some getting used to. Not too sure but what I might not skip it and either do without or substitute other bluetooth keyboard and mouse if need such.

But my real interest is in working in pure tablet mode, with the tablet turned up in portrait orientation, using the onscreen keyboard. Not ideal for large volumes of typing… but seems viable for brainstorming and reviewing/editing. Portrait mode provides a lot of vertical space for Scrivener even with the onscreen keyboard up and one can size Scrivener so that it and the onscreen keyboard don’t overlap. Not sure if the onscreen keyboard felt as good or natural as the iPad one (to the extent that the iPad one does), but that may also be a matter of getting used to it, just as one has to on the iPad.

Display resolution was crisp to the eye… about what I would expect on an iPad Retina display.

Throw in optional/occassional use of a bluetooth keyboard, bluetooth mouse and landscape orientation if needed and seems like it could be mighty fine.

Plug it into my existing desktop keyboard, mouse and display if at home and need large display or need to do lots of keyboarding… and my existing high end PC might wind up unused other than for gaming…

I like! And I came mighty close to purchasing on the spot. Was just standing there going “pretty sweet, pretty sweet” and having to tell myself to at least walk away and think about it. Will have to see if I can tough it out to see what comes out hardware/software wise this fall…

P.S. Here’s a link to an earlier thread discussing use on Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro…
literatureandlatte.com/forum … 30&t=26874

P.P.S. Another thread, that mentions something that I failed to try… I’m going to run back out and give that a try.
literatureandlatte.com/forum … ga#p169087
from note by bklvr…
“changed my font sizes for the Binder & menus to be larger, which incidentally makes it easier to pick out the things I’m touching”
UPDATE: This worked, as far as making them larger and more selectable. Though text in the Inspector got strange (lines overlapping/clipping). Moving a binder item via finger or stylus to a new location between two others items is still kind of iffy… very narrow margin for error. Wasn’t able to get a Ctrl+arrow combo out of the onscreen keyboard in order to use the keyboard to accomplish the move.

P.P.P.S. So, Surface Pro 3 and Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro both look pretty sweet… but I’m in a holding pattern, waiting for new iPad to come out this fall and for Scrivener for iOS…

P.P.P.P.S. Another link. howtogeek.com/175664/how-to- … rry-fonts/

I find Scrivener unusable on my Surface Pro 2, partly because I can’t see enough text in the editor if I make the binder, etc. large enough to read. Also because the on-screen keyboard/pen recognition panel covers too much of the screen. I don’t own a type cover nor do I plan to get one (already have a laptop); the stylus is the point of the Surface for me, so Scrivener is a non-starter.

However, the SP3 looks very attractive, so if you do buy one, let us know how you get on, please. Thanks, Jim

And the winner (in my case, for now) is… the current iPad Air, which I went ahead and purchased. Wery, wery nice! Others’ mileage may vary…

I’ll post some followup thoughts.

As far as the Surface Pro 3 goes… still really sweet and tempting. Definitely worth giving it a tryout. My local Best Buy was kind enough to let me download and try Scrivener twice on a 3. (And when I settled on the iPad Air instead, I bought it from them, as I don’t like the idea of window shopping them but buying elsewhere.)

jje, re your comments… I think the 3 definitely addresses those issues with its greater resolution and size. My leaning is to working with tablets upright in portrait mode. In portrait, at that resolution and size, there’s plenty of screen real estate for both Scrivener and onscreen keyboard or pen recognition panel to be present simultaneously, at least to my eyes. Even in horizontal, there’s a lot more real estate.

---- followup thoughts ----

Hard to say what ultimately tipped me to the iPad Air… probably the size, proportion, weight, mature touch interface and built-in cellular. And that I anticipate using it in concert with a Windows desktop PC, rather than as my only computer. Will probably do a lot of heavy drafting on the desktop and editing on the tablet.

Some of the pros and cons, from my perspective. Others’ mileage will vary…

Surface Pro 3 pros

• Scrivener now! Albeit, with traditional rather than touch interface.
  • Full blown uncompromised “Wintel” (not RT) Windows compatibility, with both traditional and new graphical interfaces available. With all the robustness, flexibility and access to the wealth of apps available for it.
  • Sweet hardware and proportions. It looks and feels right.

Surface Pro 3 neutrals

• Wouldn’t really know how touch and/or stylus with traditional interface version of Scrivener would work out until had spent significant time with it. My sense is would be ok… but some acclimating would be required. Touch/stylus dragging/moving of items in the binder was very persnickety, even with their font size increased somewhat.
  • Size and weight. Seemed alright to me, though only used it for about an hour at a time, on a table, without an opportunity to really hold it arbitrarily, place it in my lap, prop it on my chest, etc. But then I’m used to using a first gen iPad in an Otterbox Defender case… which, combined, probably masses about what the 3 does.
  • Optional keyboard. Would take some getting used to, to see if could type accurately on it. Presumably would work with the 3 in portrait mode due to bluetooth, but would obviously have to be physically disconnected. My initial orientation is toward staying mobile, being able to work in situations with little or no space for setup and keyboard, instead working in portrait mode, using the onscreen keyboard. Time will tell. If I’m wrong, there’s a variety of bluetooth keyboards out there. Admittedly, physical keyboards are better than onscreen keyboards, at least for high volume drafting.

Surface Pro 3 cons

• Scrivener for Metro/Modern is apparently a long way off… if ever.
  • Cost. Though one could probably fiddle this if go mid or low configuration and still manage to match iPad Air specs.
  • Lack of cellular. Though one could presumably tie it into wifi hotspot service on one’s cell phone.
  • Size and weight? Maybe/maybe not. The rumored pending larger iPad Pro might also have one or both of these concerns. Lots of folks (though not necessarily writers?) seem to be favoring mini-tablets… in which case, the current iPad size sort of is becoming the “pro” size, relatively speaking.
  • Text/icon/interface scaling. Getting better (see links in earlier post), but still a bit funky.
  • Perhaps too wide, even in portrait mode, for “two thumbs only” typing while holding the tablet.
  • Larger bulkier AC adapter/charger.

iPad Air pros

• Tablet done right.
  • Mature touch interface that Scrivener for iOS will use when it arrives.
  • Proven promising, already pretty robust and mature, tablet OS.
  • Width, in portrait mode, lends itself to “two thumbs only” typing while holding the tablet.
  • Cellular (optional)
  • Pocketable AC adapter/charger.
  • NEW NOTE - I was able to transfer my original monthly AT&T unlimited data plan over from my original first generation iPad (which I originally signed up for via the original iPad). Was able to initiate the transfer on/from the new iPad Air (resulting in it automatically being disabled on/removed from the original iPad). Unlimited, same price as before, and now 4G LTE rather than 3G. Nice! Good speed, where tended to dog before. Parallels Access remote control into my Windows PC works very nicely (other than does not currently support portrait mode on iPad, whereas TeamViewer and Splashtop do). I didn’t realize that I could transfer the plan until after I made the purchase.

iPad Air neutrals

• Screen sharing/switching between apps seems desirable. Coming in iOS8?
  • No general high precision parallax free stylus support. Yet. Personally, for me, general stylus use isn’t going to be of much interest until the entire visible OS interface becomes a sort of a “magic paper” handwriting orientated interface… which probably requires a from scratch restart… which means it’s probably a long ways off…

iPad Air cons

• Scrivener not yet available (as of Jul 7 2014) for iOS. Hopefully yet this calendar year. OmniOutliner and Textilus as possible supplements/alternates. Remote control software such as TeamViewer, Splashtop and Parallels Access as a means of remoting into Scrivener running on a PC or Mac.
  • Slippery to hold. (I opted for an Otterbox Defender case, for protection and non-slip holding. Looks and feels nice. No keyboard, but I didn’t want one. Folio cases, some with keyboards, were an alternative, but don’t lend themselves to portrait orientation.)

I am a new Scrivener user (trial) on my desktop for now, but I have a laptop Lenova Yoga tablet/laptop combo and need to know if Scrivener will work on both my computers. The Lenova has Windows 8 and the Desktop has Windows 7. Will that be an issue? As for the tablet component, I can always use the keyboard for the laptop portion of the Lenova rather than the touch feature? Does this make sense? Appreciate your help!

Presumably the Lenovo has an Intel processor and is running Windows 8, not Windows 8 RT. Without knowing the exact Lenovo Yoga model, can’t say for sure. But, basically, download and install the trial on your Lenovo. If it installs and runs, it should be fine.

Windows 7 versus 8 is not an issue as far as Scrivener is concerned. Scrivener will basically appear and work the same on both, as it uses the traditional Windows graphical interface, not the new Metro/Modern interface introduced with Windows 8. Windows 8 supports both the old and new graphical interfaces. If you get frustrated with the new interface and want more control over it or to turn it off in favor of the old interface, you might investigate Stardock’s Start8 and ModernMix utilities. There are other similar utilities available, some for free… and the capability may also exist in the current or pending versions of Windows 8.

Don’t rule out using touch. Try both touch and keyboard and see what works for you.

You inquired elsewhere about cloud storage and using Apple’s iCloud. Given that you are working on Windows computers and what folks experiences with various cloud services have been, I would recommend you try DropBox. They offer a free account with 2 gigabytes of storage. Before using DropBox or other cloud storage, please read scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … th-dropbox

You inquired elsewhere as to whether you could store backups to external thumb/flash drives, solid state (SSD) and hard drives (HD). Yes.

It’s Lenovo, with an “o”, not an “a”. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your help! Appreciate it very much. I will download the Scrivener on the Lenovo to see if it works. This is an ignorant question but, as I am using trial right now, if I purchase Scrivener, does it allow me to download it to two different computers, the PC and Lenovo Laptop?

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

See scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ … e-computer

Thanks Springfield MH!