Scrivener freezes when resizing table columns

Hello,

I’m using Scrivener 2.6 on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, on a 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM.

I have three scrivener projects open, though I think the problem also occurs when there are fewer projects open.

I am working on a project which includes a number of tables.

About 80% of the time, when I go to resize the table columns using the mouse, the program freezes. I have to force quit and restart.

This is incredibly frustrating.

Any ideas?

The number of projects you’re working on shouldn’t be a problem. Can you get this to happen in a fresh project? A good test would be to create a new blank project, nothing in it, no settings changed (just leave it default, don’t even change the size of the window), and drag one of the documents, with a table that has frozen the software, over to the blank one—anywhere in the Binder is fine. If you get another freeze in the test project, could you send that our way? Maybe we can get it to happen over here and that will help us figure it out.

If it doesn’t happen in the blank project, note any differences. Do you usually use page view, for example, does it only happen in full screen mode? That sort of stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn’t get the problem in a fresh project. I can’t really think of any differences between the two. I never use page view or full-screen mode. Could it be something to do with the fact that the project is reasonably large? It’s a 12.7MB file, and there are 60+ folders in it. Could that be it?

Thanks.

A problem of this nature is more likely down to some kind of drawing bug. Scrivener is very resource efficient when it comes to what is in your projects. Even if you have several gigabytes of text in thousands of files, when you open a project only the things you actually click on and edit are loaded into memory—the other stuff, so long as you aren’t looking at it all at once, might as well not exist for issues like this.

Here is something you can try, with that same blank project test. From the original project that is freezing, use the Window/Layouts/Manage Layouts... command and click the + button to save your project view settings. Make sure both of the checkboxes below the preview pane are checked, then switch back to the blank project test, and double-click the layout icon to apply the view settings to this other project. Now see if dragging the table border causes the freeze.

I have the same bad experience with tables, working on Mac Yosemite. Curious is that the problems doesn’t occur with all tables. Some of them, I have reshaped without problems.
Related to tables, I had problems too in the Scriptwriting template. It’s a pitty change the columns width. So, I work on it as it is and reshape on Word processor when finished.

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps above, and if so what results did you find? For example the initial poster found that moving the table to another project caused the problem to go away, leading me to suggest resetting some of the project’s settings.