Scrivener gets me to the finish line

Hi all-

I’ve been an infrequent visitor to this forum, occasionally coming here to ask a question, while I’ve been using Scrivener to write my book. I haven’t had to come very often because Scrivener is mostly so easy to use, that I just haven’t needed to ask a lot of questions. On the occasions that I have, the nice people here have quickly addressed my issue.

I’m excited to say that my first draft went off to the publisher last week. :smiley:

Scrivener was invaluable for efficiently getting to this point. I had a pretty thorough chapter outline, plus some starts of chapters, and a bunch of other snippets from the last couple of years, and initially these were in a variety of Nisus Writer files. Starting in January I had 3 months off work to focus 100% on the book, and I was able to get to a “first first” draft in that time. Final polishing happened in the last month or so, after taking a short break from it.

I’m sure that if I’d been dealing with one huge doc, or a bunch of chapters in separate files (and having to handle rev control etc.), the process would have been much slower. Several of the chapters were quite inter-related, so the ability to look at them non-contiguously , search across them, tag them, etc. was invaluable.

I did print out individual chapters at a couple of points, but it wasn’t until the end that I printed out the whole book. I have to say that it wasn’t until I saw all 240 pages printed out that it really sank in that I’d written a full book! Scrivener is so good at “hiding” the intimidating length of what you are working on that you don’t really realize what you are doing!

Creating the actual first draft involved compiling the draft in Scrivener, doing final formatting in Nisus Writer, end-note scanning and bibliography in Sente, and then final conversion to Word as a final step (since publisher wants it in .doc…). Fairly complicated, and it took a few hours, but only have to do it once! (Well, until the final)

The final draft is due in a couple of months. I’m not sure at this point whether I will continue with Scrivener from here on it, or go with Nisus or Word. Probably depends on how much red ink there is when commentary comes back :slight_smile:

(For details on what the book itself is about, you can look here: richardsona.com/my-book. Broadly speaking it’s on the topic of innovation, business strategy, and experience design.)

Thanks to the Scrivener team for help making it possible!

Adam

Hi Adam,

Congratulations on getting the draft off to your publisher! Many thanks for the kind words about Scrivener; I’m glad it made the task less intimidating and managed to trick you into not realising how much work you’d done! Good luck with preparing the book for publication!

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith