Scrivener getting slow

I write my thesis right now and I have over 2000 scrivenings in scrivener (200.000 words) and scrivener is getting slower all the time. Although not an ideal solution I tried to split up the project into different smaller projects in order to alleviate the problem somewhat, but could not drag and drop pats of the old project into a newly created one because it crashed. Right now it seems that scrivener is not ready for larger projects I am afraid or something is wrong on my end. Any advice?

Could you please elaborate? What do you mean by “slow”? Do you mean typing is slow, or dragging documents around is slow, or loading text is slow? Scrivener has been extensively tested on large projects. One thing to bear in mind is that if your project is really large, saving might take a while, and Scrivener auto-saves after two seconds of inactivity by default. So you could try going to the “General” pane of the preferences and changing the autosave to something like 60 seconds of inactivity. Just make sure to hit cmd-S yourself though if you do that.

All the best,
Keith

By slow I mean dragging scrivenings around and also typing. The whole program locks up for a short pause. I can sometimes write five or six words before scrivener types them out. It happens when I switch contexts (e.g. dragging scrivenings around and then switch to typing).

Also, “Project Statistics” is behaving weird. When I hit “Update Printed Counts” it does not show me the “Pages (printed)” but when I press “OK” it shows it for a split second before closing the whole dialoge.

If it’s pausing, then that’s auto-save kicking in. As I say, make the auto-save period longer and you should be good.

If it says “Update Printed Page Counts”, that means there’s a lot of text and that it will take a while to calculate the page count. It sounds as though it’s taking a while to calculate - laying out all the text in pages in the background - and then you’re clicking “OK” without waiting for it to finish its calculations, so that as soon as its done the dialogue closes. You just need to give it time - it cannot layout hundreds of pages of text in seconds.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith