Scrivener hangs on Compile

When I click Export on the Compile dialog, the progress bar goes all the way to the end and Scrivener hangs. The same thing happens when I click Print (except without the progress bar). I did a repair permissions and tried again with no change. It’s a bit disconcerting to get to the end of a project and not be able to get it out.

OK, I found the workaround: print to PDF from Edit Scrivenings mode. Not ideal, but at least my project’s out of limbo. :slight_smile:

In Applications/Utilities, you’ll find a tool called “Console” open that up and either reproduce the compiler hang in Scrivener, or scroll back to the date and time when you know it last occurred. If you get any error messages this will help the developer sort out what is going on.

Are you using MMD, by any chance? I posted exactly the same complaint and then realized I just wasn’t waiting long enough for the Perl script to do its thing. On my 75,000 word project, it takes about 5 minutes on my iBook.

Unless it is an MMD slowdown, this definitely sounds like a bug. Do you have a lot of auto-number tags in your manuscript? This was one bug I found recently that could make Scrivener hang (fixed for the next update). The next update (not available for a couple of months, I’m afraid) completely rewrites the Compile Draft code, so hopefully there will be no such problems then, but obviously I would like to try to help you resolve the problem in the current version. A first step would be to provide a console log as Amber suggests. A second step would be to zip up the project and send it to support AT literatureandlatte DOT com so that I can see where the hang is happening for myself.
Thanks and all the best,
Keith