"Scrivener has stopped working..." crashes

Over the last couple of days I have been getting these kinds of crashes frequently. I used the program since the beginning of the month with no issues. I think that it is related to me having copy/pasted some writing from OpenOffice into Scrivener, that is the only thing I’ve done differently.

It does not matter how much gets pasted into Scrivener, within a couple of minutes (typically when I jump from one section to another), Scrivener will crash.

What version of Scrivener are you using? You can check under Help > About Scrivener. There was a bug identified with certain invalid characters causing a crash when they were brought into the editor (via pasting or importing), so it sounds like that’s what you’re experiencing, but this should be fixed for 1.0. If You’re on the 045 NaNoWriMo Trial, you may want to try clearing your browser cache and redownloading the installer from here, as it was updated slightly (to version 046) and that may fix the issue. You can install it directly over the 045 version, just make sure Scrivener is closed first.

Alternatively you could download and install the standard 1.0 trial from here, which will give you 30 days of use rather than the set Dec 7th expiration date, but that will be enough to get you through to December. Backup your projects and uninstall your existing beta before installing 1.0; it will reset your preferences, so you’ll need to redo those, but your projects will all be untouched. The “Recent Projects” meu will get cleared, however, so you’ll need to use “Open Existing Project” to open each of your projects the first time and repopulate the “Recent” list.

Yes, I am using the NaNo version, and it is .045. Thanks so much, I will download .046 or the normal trial.

I am very glad for such a quick response! :slight_smile:

Scrivener just crashed again, with the same message.

I had updated to .046 of the NaNo trial version earlier today.

Is there anything else that could be causing these crashes?

Just by the description, and knowing that this was a big bug in the final betas, I think this issue of the invalid characters is still the most likely, although if you happen to know a specific trigger otherwise that’s always causing a crash, that’s certainly worth investigating. I know you already did the update to 046, but really the best thing to do here would be to follow the steps above and install the 1.0 trial, which has further bug fixes dealing with this issue; 046 was a start, but it didn’t solve the problem for everyone. I’m sorry for the inconvenience in the middle of trying to do NaNo, but it should be a fairly quick uninstall/install and I really think that should clear up the crash issue for you.

I’m gettin frequent hangs with my projects the past couple of days, and I’m using 1.0.1 (already purchased and registered :mrgreen: ). Should I run some kind of cleaner on my stuff too, or what?

Is this with all your projects including newly created ones, or just one or two particularly large ones? When do you get the hangs (i.e. what are the steps leading up to Scrivener going unresponsive)? Did you uninstall any beta versions before installing 1.0.1? If you installed 1.0 (or 1.0.1) directly over a beta, the first thing to do would be uninstalling it all, then reinstalling 1.0 just to make sure you don’t have anything carrying over from the beta that might be interfering here.

I decided to completely gut Scrivener. I did go from 0.49 and did a complete uninstall and then installed 1.0. Earlier today I uninstalled a patched version of 1.0.1 and then reinstalled with the downloaded installer today, but before I did that I deleted my Scirvener folders both in Programs (x86: I’m using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) and under Users. It still hangs when I pull up Project targets. The project folder is about 40-60MB in size, runs over 60,000 words at the moment (although only about 13,000+ are being included in the compile right now for Nanowrimo), but it’s been up to about 120MB and it hasn’t hanged much before. I’ve only worked on the one project in 1.0.1, but I don’t think it was hanging on another project that had much fewer words in it.