scrivener header and footer are cut off

Hello,
I’m having a few problems in compiling for pdf on Scrivener 2.2.

The main problem is that the header and footer on the right side are cut off. I don’t see any way I would have any control of this, so there seems to be something wrong.

A secondary problem relates more to my confusion. I don’t seem able to get the second or third documents to print the same header as the first. I’ve tried following the manual but can’t seem to get it to work. What is the best way to set up the project?

A sub-problem of this one is that I want to use one Scrivener project for all courses I teach. Each course’s guidelines consist of 3 documents. Can I compile so that at the beginning of each group of 3 course documents for each course I teach the header isn’t printed?

Thanks for your help.
John

For the header and footer, have you looked at the options in the Compile -> Page Settings pane? That allows you to specify the page size, which would determine whether everything fits. It allows you to specify whether the header should appear on the first page.

Could you be more specific about the problem you’re having with the header text? If you compile all three documents as a single unit, it takes some effort to make them not have the same header.

Katherine

As Katherine says, you can control what gets printed in the header and footer via Compile -> Page Settings (that allows you to determine whether the first pages are different to subsequent pages and so on).

With regards to them getting cut off, you might need to look in the page settings (either via File > Page Setup… or Compile > Page Settings > Page Setup… depending on whether Compile is set to use the project’s print settings or custom print settings). In the Page Setup pane, choose “Manage Custom Sizes…” from “Paper Size”. There, look at the “Non-Printable Area”. It may be that your printer is a little over-optimistic in the settings it places here. Try increasing the values. Scrivener relies on those values to determine which part of the paper it is allowed to print on.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for both quick replies.

Regarding cut-off text:
Yes, I went to Page Settings. I am using the settings from within Compile, not the Project. The settings were set at US Letter. I also have selected “Format for Any Printer”. My right-hand margin (where I am having the problem) is set at 1.25". The header text is “Fall 2012” (the document prints “Fall”) and the footer “<$p> / <$pagecount>” (the documents prints on the 1st page “1 /” These stop printing flush with the right margin.

I looked at Custom Sizes, though I am not using them. The Non-Printable area is set to 0 all around.

Regarding what the header/footer text reads over the length of document:
It seems my original intent to customize headers won’t work in Scrivener. I will explain how I set it up now:

I have a folder for each of 2 courses. In each folder, there are 3 documents: a syllabus, a calendar and a department guidelines. In Compile under Contents, I only have the first page of the second course checked for “Pg Break Before”. Under Separators, I only have folder-to-folder set to Page Break. The 3 others are set to “Empty Line” (I don’t know whether these two settings, for Content and Separators are redundant, but it works now.)

So it seems to work and I can live with the solution, except:
My question then becomes, can I manage widow/orphan lines? (Example: The first line of the calendar, following the main syllabus, reads “CALENDAR”. However, it appears now at the bottom of the last page of the syllabus. Is there any way to manually pull text to the next page without creating a “Page Break” and thus ruining the headers?

Ideally, I’d like Scrivener to be able to have a subset of header/footer control, but I take it that is not available. Any additional help on the other problems appreciated.

Thanks.
John

There is an option for widow/orphan control in the Compile -> Layout pane. Note however that it is not available for all output formats.

Scrivener allows you to configure headers and footers so that the first page is different, and so that facing pages are different. You can also use placeholders to incorporate variable text – like a Chapter number – into the header. For finer control than that, however, you would need to use more page-oriented software, either something like Word or a dedicated page layout program.

Katherine

This is what you will want to change. Try setting a non-printable area of 0.5, for instance.

As Katherine says, you cannot manage widow and orphans in Scrivener, as this is an extremely complex layout task and that’s not really what Scrivener is intended for - that is the sort of thing that is deferred to an external word processor (you can turn on widow and orphan control for exported RTF files, for instance, which tells the external word processor to manage widow and orphans, but this is not possible when printing or generating a PDF from within Scrivener). However, Scrivener does have a simple “Keep with Next” feature which should do what you want. In the editor, click into the text that says “CALENDAR” and go to Format > Text > Keep with Next. This will tell the “CALENDAR” paragraph to stay with the next paragraph, so that it won’t get left behind on the page on its own. (Keep with Next is still quite complex, but nowhere near so as full widow and orphan control.)

I’m not 100% clear on what you are trying to achieve here - perhaps you could explain exactly what you want to appear in the headers and footers? Scrivener allows you to set headers and footers to be different for the first few pages, for recto and verso pages, and also allows you to use certain variables, for instance for chapter names. If you say exactly what you are after, we can say whether it’s possible or not for sure (and tell you how if so).

All the best,
Keith

If you want to just have no header on the first page of each set of course documents, there is an option coming in 2.3 that should work for you; it allows you to set “no header” on pages following a page break. You can download the beta from the Mac beta forum to test it out if you like. You’ll find the option as a checkbox in the Page Settings pane of Compile.

Going by the description of your set up, you don’t really need the “Pg Brak Before” ticked for any of your items; rather, you’d want to set the Text/Folder separator to “Page Break”. Since you’re compiling something like
Folder
text
text
Folder
text
text
the Folder/Folder separator isn’t relevant, since you don’t have two folders next to each other in the flat list. The Text/Folder separator will go after any text item followed by a folder, so it will be what divides each group of course documents. By setting this to “page break”, if you add another course folder to your binder, it will automatically start on a new page when you compile without you needing to worry about ticking “Pg Break Before”.

Thanks all, for all the help. I’m quite clear now on what I can do.