I’ve just delivered the first draft of my new novel in Scrivener and thought I’d give a little feedback on how that went and a few of the things I learned along the way.
First - it was a joy to write in Scrivener and this will definitely be my working software from now on. When the MS was finished (127k words) I exported into Word format, turned on widows and orphans support (and stupidly did a little editing) then sent it off to my editors.
Normally I send an MS in Word format (even though both my UK and US publisher edit manually on paper). In this instance I sent off both a Word doc and a PDF. In future I hope we will work entirely on PDFs to save printing hassles, delivering a Word file only for the final version for typesetting.
After I submit a book I get a series of editing notes (or in this case a meeting, since I happen to be in New York anyway). Pre-Scrivener I would then insert these notes as comments into a Word doc.
In fact it makes a lot more sense to include the whole notes as a separate document in Scrivener, with additional line notes on where each item requires some tweaking. This will be much better than the Word notes function.
The bad part is I edited the exported draft in Word, so I just had to go back and do those revisions again in Scrivener. Lesson: only work in Scrivener until the very last working draft. In fact from now on I think I may do the first draft as a Scrivener export to Word then put that straight through to the publishers as a pdf.
My one suggestion: a direct export from draft to pdf might be useful (I know it would have widows and orphans in it but I may be a little over zealous about avoiding them. Also these books are commissioned; if they were submitted on spec I might be more picky).
Hope that helps. Pleasure to work with this software throughout.