Scrivener in Linux

I know that this is probably out of the question, and understandably so, but the new crop of netbook computers, most of which run Linux, has opened a whole new dimension in portability. So the question. Is there any remote possibility for a Linux version of Scrivener?

I ran a search on this topic and found 153 previous posts.

And the answer is basically: No. :wink:

I re-read my post and thought it sounded a bit rude. :blush:

Amaru, my instinct would be to find a Linux program that lets you outline, write notes, and export files in RTF. Then just import or drag into Scrivener for power-editing.

linux.open.ac.uk/108/oregan.html
abisource.com/download/

Good luck!

Thats what I was thinking, but I didnt like to say anything, cos I`m not rude. :open_mouth:
Vic

I didn’t think it was rude at all. The very first point in Keith’s “BEFORE POSTING” sticky thread in this section asks people to use the search before asking a question.

I’ve had an idea about how you could get some degree of Linux portability, that I’ll probably be doing something about when I get some spare time. Which is not likely to be soon.

Basically, I’ve been thinking that due to the nature of Scrivener “documents”, you’ll see the Scrivener document as a folder hierarchy in Linux. There are really only two things that are really wanting for compatability/portability to, say, AbiWrite on Linux:

1 - Chapter titles instead of numeric document codes on the individual RTFD collections.

2 - Some way of seeing the overall hierarchy of the project.

My first step would probably be to figure out how to get an HTML page that accomplishes first [2], then refine it to show [1], and store that at the same filesystem level as the Scrivener collection (i.e., document). So what you’d have is an HTML file that listed all the editable objects, with relative path link to the file so you could use a browser to open it up with an RTF editor. Dirty, reasonably quick, and open to many improvements in approach.

I could figure out how to do that in PHP, but that wouldn’t be very easily portable. Probably as good an excuse as any to learn Python or Ruby…

I’ve been on the fence about Scrivener and the main reason is that I’m having doubts about continuing as a Mac user, now that there are so many Linux distros that are so nice.

One of the big pluses (why I’ll almost certainly buy in soon) is the high degree of portability versus tools like Storymill. E.g., a question like “will there be a Scrivener for Linux?” comes up, and you can easily see a way to work around the fact that the answer is ‘no.’ That’s what I call a good application design.

Out of curiosity I was poking around in package contents.

Having done a bit with Ruby & XML a bit recently, I’d say getting the titles out of binder.xml wouldn’t be hard - a script could then rename all the rtfds.

But as far as I can tell the hierarchy is in the .scrivproj file, which is inscrutable to me.
(edit)
Actually, it turns out you can get it to save .scrivproj in plain text xml: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-geektool-in-nanowrimo/4597/1

Just need to figure out how to parse that.

It’s actually possible to put Leopard on several of the netbooks, including EeePC, MSI Wind, and the latest, a Dell inspiron mini 9. Do a google search… I’m actually thinking about trying it.

Can anyone comment on netbooks’ keyboards for typing & writing?

I’ve read that the MSI Wind has one of the better Netbook keyboards. The upcoming Samsung NC10 is also supposedly fairly good in this category.

I had been eyeing the Lenovo Ideapad S10 but I’ve read the keyboard is somewhat cramped for a 10" netbook.

liliputing.com has a fair amount of info on various netbook models. Also, check youtube.com for video reviews of various models.

abh19, you can run Leopard on an EEEpc, but I’m running Tiger on my EEEpc 900.
It’s not a completely smooth process, but it does run, certainly fast enough for Scrivener (the number one reason for installing Mac OSX on a PC, the other reason is because it can be done). Scrivener is sitting open on my EEEpc with an article I’m writing about how great Scrivener is.

Some problems (apart from breaching Apple’s license agreement):
an EEEpc with Tiger doesn’t have sound or a functioning clock (it thinks a second goes for 2.3 seconds for some reason the internet hasn’t figured out yet) and the built in wireless network card doesn’t work (putting a different card in fixes this, though). Tiger’s sleep function doesn’t work, so you have to shut it down before you put it in your backpack, but it boots really quickly anyway. Some of Scrivener’s preference panes get cut off at the bottom the EEEpc’s small screen, but I guess I can’t complain about that (dear Keith, any chance of a scroll bar at the side, please?).

But I view Tiger on the EEEpc like Scrivener itself: a thing just for writing. Not having the internet on a computer can be good for me when writing, not having a clock can be good too. My EEEpc came with two internal drives (though you can partition a single drive too), so I can always boot back into Windows (or Linux, if I wanted) and use the internet or watch movies and listen to music.

If anyone is tempted to put Tiger on an EEEpc and want some advice about the traps for young players, drop me a line. It isn’t as hard and nerd-heavy as I would have expected (no Terminal commands for instance), but it is a bit time consuming.

cheers,
Cameron

I can only urge people who want to try this to buy the MSI Wind. All other netbooks are a nightmare in terms of hardware support and installation by comparison.

Yeah, I think the Wind is easiest for OS X because of the big community. People say the keyboard is good, but I haven’t touched one in person, so I’m wondering about the period and question mark being non-standard. (Any comments? - is the keyboard easy to get used to?) The Samsung NC10, which supposedly will start selling here in the US next month, looks like it has standard spacing.

just come across this: youtube.com/watch?v=jQt205r8 … re=related
Take care
vic