Scrivener iOS crashing on iPad Air

For some reason, Scrivener repeatedly crashed this morning on my iPad Air when I tried to open it. I tried rebooting my iPad, but it didn’t help.

I thought about deleting Scrivener and re-installing it. My question is: do I need to unlink Dropbox before I uninstall it…or is my file safe in Dropbox?

Thanks much in advance!

Hi Patt,

Sorry to hear you’re having problems. You don’t need to unlink Scrivener before deleting it. Only the local copies of the files will be deleted, not the versions stored on Dropbox. When is the crash occurring? Is it when you are trying to open a project? Or does it happen when you try to sync too?

Thanks,
Keith

I tap the Scrivener icon to open it, and briefly (for a second or two) see the projects then it crashes. I don’t even have a chance to try to open it.

Okay, from that, I think it might be a bug triggered when Scrivener goes to check for changes on Dropbox (which it does once the app is loaded or when you switch to its screen). Please try the following:

1. In Settings app, go down to Scrivener’s section of the Settings. (If you don’t see an entry for Scrivener, quit and restart Settings app by double-tapping the Home button, swiping up on the Settings window, and then re-launching it.)

2. In the “Syncing & Sharing” settings, turn off “Auto-Detect Changes”.

3. Now try launching Scrivener.

Does it open? If so, sync with Dropbox, and after that try turning “Auto-Detect Changes” back on, and see if it continues to work after that.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Thank you so much, Keith!

That seemed to solve the problem…

Great! I’m glad that helped. I’m hopeful that I’ve caught the underlying bug for the next update, but I’m glad you’re back up and running.

All the best,
Keith