Scrivener is pausing the system every 3 or 4 seconds.

I began having this strange issue with Scrivener this week as I was coming to a critical point in my manuscript. I’m adding that bit of trivia to make it clear how bludgeoning inconvenient this particular nasty is. It’s a distraction I’d prefer not having on top of my deadline.

The entire program is stopping for a microsecond with every type, every mouse motion etc. Having a bit of the hacker tendency I shut other programs down, restarted, disconnected monitors, other peripherals - the whole debugging kit and proverbial kaboodle. The only thing that stopped this bizarre pausing of the system every 2 seconds was quitting Scrivener. I had my culprit.

So naturally I went over to my console and saw this particularly strange entry from the Scrivener log :

Apr 11 13:06:11 MacBook-Pro-4 Scrivener[14694]: assertion failed: 17G65: libxpc.dylib + 75013 [0BC7AD67-671D-31D4-8B88-C317B8379598]: 0x89 Apr 11 13:06:13 MacBook-Pro-4 Scrivener[14694]: objc[14694]: Class FIFinderSyncExtensionHost is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FinderKit.framework/Versions/A/FinderKit (0x7fffb4f94c90) and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileProvider.framework/OverrideBundles/FinderSyncCollaborationFileProviderOverride.bundle/Contents/MacOS/FinderSyncCollaborationFileProviderOverride (0x115e11cd8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined. Apr 11 13:06:14 MacBook-Pro-4 Scrivener[14694]: BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[mach_recv] monitored resource vanished before the source cancel handler was invoked

Devs, any idea on what’s going on? Should I go back to TextEdit?

Hi scifiedgar,

Sounds like you’re looking in the right places, but I’m a Windows guy so can’t help you. If this were Windows, I’d turn off my antivirus and see if that helps. Also would increase the Save interval in Scrivener to longer than the default 2 seconds.

But the only truly useful advice I have for you, due to the urgency, is to email L&L support directly. That should get you quicker response.

mac.support@literatureandlatte.com

Best,
Jim

Thanks JimRac.

After fidgeting with auto-save changing it from 60 seconds than 120 and so on the problem continued.

My plan today is to start a new project and see if the problem persists. Honestly, I was suspicious about Scrivener being able to handle what I was throwing at it in the first place though.

Building this manuscript has been a long haul; importing notes, images and screenshots. Prior to that, I spent time researching whether to knock this out with other programs. In order to make sense of this mess of research and inspirations. I had stickies, notepads and text files. My use for Scrivener thusly has been to give myself some order to this data accumulation. It seemed the obvious choice since it could import images - so I scanned every little thing and threw it in the binder.

My method was to utilize Scrivener to chunk all this real tangible stuff I had gathered (imagine some notes were three or four lines on napkins.) After around 6 months of gathering this mess of paperwork (which is harder than it sounds when you used a notebook as an everything bucket and have to go over each page of notes to see where you write the ‘thing’ that applied specifically to the ‘other thing’.)

On top of all that, after my morning coffee I will still use stickies in the kitchen to jot ideas, on the fridge and on my desk. My world is an array of unchunked caffeinated ideas I spend months trying to chunk.

Maybe this “bizarre pausing bug” has something to do with my 250mb of images drizzled around the binder. ;/

Or maybe I should address the caffeine issue first?

What version of Scrivener do you have, and with which version of Mac OS? There have been some version-specific slowdowns off and on over the years.

What specifically are you trying to do? If you’re loading up a giant Scrivenings session with all 250 MB of images and a couple million words of text, you’re quite likely to see performance issues. If you’re just typing in some text notes, the overall project size shouldn’t matter.

Katherine

Or maybe you should look at Devonthink Pro? It’s built specifically to so the kind of document handling you are trying to do in Scrivener.
Scrivener is primarily for writing, not a database.