Scrivener is *very* slow (on Windows 10)?

Okay, where to begin?

I’ve been using Scrivener for Windows for almost three years now, and for the first two years it ran perfectly. Couldn’t have asked for a better software. This is a problem I first noticed a few months ago and if it persists, I may have to ditch Scrivener completely - something I really don’t want to have to do!

I’m hoping someone here can help me. I’m not sure if this is a Scrivener problem or a Windows 10 problem or what. :confused: A few months ago, Scrivener took a seemingly random turn for the frustratingly slow. Regardless of the file size, not only will the software lag so much it’s almost unusable, but it affects the rest of my computer as well (most notably with slow-to-load drop-down menus & windows in other programs). I have to restart my PC several times a day and it’s gotten to the point where it’s just frustrating and wasting time. And as I stated, it doesn’t matter how big the file is - all files are affected equally, from the 5k to the 50k.

I’ve troubleshooted to the best of my ability, and I’m at a loss. This is what I’ve done so far:
• Closed all other programs
• Cleared the backups folder
• Disabled backups completely
• Increased the autosave feature as high as it will go
• Uninstalled and reinstalled Scrivener to the latest update
• Checked the Task Manager to see if there’s anything eating up power in the background (there isn’t)
• And yes, I’ve tried turning the computer off and on again - this solves the problem for all of two seconds.

I’m stuck now for what to do next. I’m really hoping this is a fixable issue, since I don’t want to waste even more time trying to find another writing software.

Thanks in advance for any help. :slight_smile: (and sorry if this is in the wrong forum board!)

I experience exactly the same problem since yesterday on two Windows10 machines, both freshly setup.

Before on Win7 (Laptop) and Win10 (PC) no problems at all.

All Windows need minutes to be drawn. Writing in the editor is laggy. I get visual error in OS Dialog fields, syncing is slow, backup is slow and the bar of the backup runs jaggily forward.

What’s going on? It cannot have to do just with the project as it ran 2 years perfectly fine…

Help appreciated!!

Guys, try Tools > “Save and Rebuild Search Indexes”. Close and reopen the project. Let me know if this helps.

For me it seems to work now, thanks…

For the time being it seems to have worked. Still a little laggy when typing in the main editor, but it’s not unusable like before and no longer affects the rest of my PC. I’ll report back to this thread if something changes.

Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this tip. I had such a lag between typing and appearing on my screen. I know I’ve added a lot to the project recently, but I didn’t think that would affect it so much. One quick drop-down and reopen and I’m back to work.

For reference purposes:
Win 10
Scrivener 1.9.7.0 06 Oct 2016
8 GB ram

Thank you!
Anne.

Unfortunately problems seem to have started again. Save and rebuild searches no longer does very much. :frowning: