Scrivener Link -- Alt Drag Drop Moves Document

I have a corkboard that shows the timeline for the different scenes.

I thought I’d have a link on each corkboard card that could take me to that scene.

I followed these directions

What happened was that the document disappeared from the binder, and the text appeared in the text document corresponding to the index card. Ctrl-Z didn’t undo that.

I also tried putting the cursor in the synopsis for a particular index card, and chose Edit/Scrivener Link/New Link… and also chose Edit/Scrivener Link/[drill down to document]. In both of these cases nothing happened.

Finally I tried selecting the doc in the binder, and choose Edit/Copy Special/Copy Special/Copy Documents as scrivener links. When I pasted into the synopsis, it simply pasted the name of the document.

Is it possible to do what I want to do?

Thanks,

Al

You can basically do what you are trying to do, you just need to use a different mechanism because synopsis fields are plain-text—they do not support hyperlinks or any other kind of formatting. Instead, click the “stack of books” icon in the Inspector to show the “References” table. Here is where you can drop links to other items. You can just click on a card to expose this list in the future, and double-click icons in that list to navigate to the linked item (this list can also store links to files on your computer as well as anything accessible via a URL).

Thanks, that works pretty well. I have to right click on it and choose to open.

For the Wish List:

Note that double clicking does not work–if I double click on the text, it lets me edit the text (non windows standard), if I double click on the little doc icon, it brings it up in a second editor window.

Note that if I single click on it, nothing happens. That’s a bit of a waste, right?

A few other things I noticed:

The manual is wrong when it says: “To use links, simply click on them with the mouse pointer, as you would in a web browser.”

On page 81 of the manual, it incorrectly states: “Items [Scrivener Links] can be dragged into the Notes Pane (and the Project Notes window) as well as the main text area, in this fashion.”

If you link to a document, and the document name changes, the link text will not change.

Finally, in trying this, I would sometimes drag the document rather than the link by mistake, which can make a mess. It would be good if UNDO worked with these kinds of situations.

Partial design problem: it is so you can select multiple items and delete or copy them or drag them to a collection list, but only single selection has been implemented for some reason (and copy/drag isn’t implemented).

It says this in regards to References? It seems to me to be referring to links, which require only a single click to activate.

I’m missing what is incorrect here, if I open Document Notes in the Inspector and Alt-drag an item to it, I get a link. The same goes for Project Notes in the Inspector and as a separate window.

Yes, that is working correctly. If I link this text to an item named “Compact Disc - Read Only Memory”, then I would not expect the wording of my sentence to be suddenly changed to include the title.

That should be working. Were you perhaps still in the Binder, in terms of focus?

That is one valid usage case scenario indeed, AmberV.

But there are others. Sometimes I’d rater have the reference changed too, as in:

“see section How to burn a CD for more info”, and later I rename the section to “How to burn a CD or DVD”.

Particularly if I have multiple references to the same section, I’d rather have all of them updated.

Perhaps it could be a check-box in the options menu called “Update references when document is renamed”?

Or is there a way to include a <$> variable to represent the linked document name to accommodate this scenario?

We went with a more user-instigated approach in the end. There will be a right-click function to update the internal link(s) in the selection to match their titles. It works well in practice, especially since a large selection of links can be fixed at once.

Not yet, but yes! That’s very powerful and will open up a lot of interesting uses, particularly once you consider custom meta-data. We wanted to include that in 1.7 but ran out of time.

Thanks for the response. I’ll see if I can clarify.

[b]
Here’s what happens: I mean to Alt click drag and drop a document in the binder into the middle of the text to create a Scriv Link. By mistake, I let go of Alt key too soon, and instead of a reference, the entire text of the document is pasted into the other document.

That’s messy, it’s hard to see what was originally there, and what is the text that got moved. I want to Undo it, but Ctrl-Z does nothing.

Another example: I want to move the position of a document in the binder. By mistake, and this is easy to do, I end up moving it on top of another document instead of in between two documents.

Ctrl-Z does not undo this either.[/b]

Are there any other conditions required to make the text move when dragging one item into a text field? Copying text from dropped items has always been the behaviour of Scrivener, so you can easily drop in snippets from external files, but this should in all cases be copying the data, not moving it.

But, I also don’t have a problem with undo, so maybe we aren’t doing precisely the same thing. If I’ve got the cursor where undo will be relevant: in the text editor where material was pasted by the drop action. If I’m still off in the binder, then Ctrl-Z won’t touch the editor contents.

Not sure what to say about the drag and drop thing, as there are only so many pixels to work with. If we make the drop zone smaller, then it’s comparatively harder to hit it when you want it. I’ve never been a fan of drag and drop organisation much myself (in part because of the precision you have to maintain in order to avoid drop-ons). I just use the keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-Arrows) in most cases. YMMV.

OK, I see the issue. Here is an example:

I click a text item in the binder, hold down the Alt-key, and drag it into the current document. By mistake, I let up on the alt key just before I release the mouse button. So, instead of copying a link, it copies all of the text into the current document.

At this point, I do what most windows users would do: I press the Ctrl-Z key. Nothing happens. Now, if I were to click in the document, and then press Ctrl-Z, it would undo the mistake.

But the problem is that no one is going to realize that they can’t just press Ctrl-Z. They will simply think, as I did, “Oh, bummer, Ctrl-Z doesn’t work here!”

Also, check out how Alt-Click-Drag is supposed to work. I believe that usually pressing Alt will lock the state once the mouse button is clicked. That is, it doesn’t matter when you release the Alt key. That’s how it works in OpenOffice for example.

Well, in theory I agree that our undo model has some rough spots, and that is one of them. However the other side of that coin is that our model is more compatible with the project metaphor. Each document has its own undo history, most elements of the interface do. An error made in the Document Notes field can be undone five hours later, even if you’ve been writing in other sections entirely.

You could not have that if you could press Ctrl-Z in the Binder and affect changes in the editor. If you did that, the whole UI would be on the same stack, and that would be very limiting given the type of program this is.

What Ctrl-Z could be doing in the binder is undoing binder related activities where appropriate. That’s something we’re still working on.

If this were OpenOffice or something, perhaps that would make no sense at all, but for something that manages thousands of individual files, you really need parallel focus-based undo streams in order to keep Undo useful as a tool.

We have checked, we are using the Windows Explorer model, which allows real-time modification of the drag event via modifier keys, added or removed. The main difference is that we couldn’t get the events to overlap correctly so that you can add Alt after you start dragging. It has to do with the mousedown event going straight through all code and selecting the item in question—meaning you’ve lost where you were going to drag it.