I’m not sure if this is a bug.
In my current project several documents are linked to each other via scrivener links (i.e The bold part of this sentence links to another document).
What I notice is that every time I open up the project again, the links seem to extend an extra letter to the word next to it (i.e The bold part of this sentence links to another document).
Close the project, open it again. Now the links extend further (i.e The bold part of this sentence links to another document).
It’s very bizarre… yet searching through this forum it doesn’t appear to be a problem experienced by any Scrivener users.
Anyone know what is going on?
I am using the trial version of Scrivener, btw. Windows 7 os.
Are you opening the documents outside of Scrivener or working cross platform at all? Do you keep the project in Dropbox or something similar and work from multiple computers? It seems like the document text and the .link file aren’t getting updated together, although when I’ve seen something like this in the past it’s usually a shift problem rather than an extension. Can you reproduce this in a new blank project, or is it isolated to a particular project? If the latter, is it limited to documents that have imported or copied text from another program?
Are you opening the documents outside of Scrivener or working cross platform at all?
- No. The growing link problem occurs even when I close Scrivener then reopen it again seconds later on the same computer.
Do you keep the project in Dropbox or something similar and work from multiple computers?
- I use DropBox as a backup folder. I use my Documents folder in Win7 to store the original files. I only work on the project from my laptop and no other computer.
Can you reproduce this in a new blank project, or is it isolated to a particular project?
One thing to note is that the problem links are located inside of a table. Specifically, the 2nd table on the page. On the same document page links outside of the table or links placed in the 1st table do not exhibit the growth problem.
I managed to recreate the problem by creating a fresh new document and inserting two different tables on the same page. Links inside the 1st table act fine no matter how many times I reopen the project. Links inside the 2nd table start to grow like a cancer upon closing and reopening Scrivener.
Sorry for the bold part. I’m hoping someone could replicate this on their own copy of Scrivener and confirm this is some kind of bug.
I’ve seen this with links in tables too. If I can reproduce it I’ll post again.
Sorry for the late response; I’ve been able to reproduce this with 1.2.5, thanks to details about using the tables, and I have it on the bug list. Thank you for taking the time to test it!
The problem seems to be a side effect of a different bug, that the empty line following a table is deleted. Links in a document following this removed line end up extending an extra character to the right, and if the line is added back then the cycle will repeat when it is again deleted. So the workaround for now may just be to not try to add an extra empty line between a table and its following text, and save that for when you compile.