Scrivener Links

I want a link within the document that jumps to another place in the document. It appears that Scrivener links does this and it works wonderfully; however, these don’t appear to carry over when I compile to mobi (Kindle) format… How do I get this internal links to be in the output? Regular links seem to compile fine… ?

There’s no way to do this at present, but it’s a feature that will be coming, giving you the ability in compile for ebooks to convert Scrivener links to HTML links.

So there is no way to link in the document to anywhere else in the same document that is included in the compile?

“There’s no way to do this at present, but it’s a feature that will be coming, giving you the ability in compile for ebooks to convert Scrivener links to HTML links.”

I hope this is still in the works. I’m hoping to output my cookbook directly from scrivener to Kindle .mobi, and this feature would make my book much easier to use.

Any word on when this might happen?

My main reason for buying this software is to put my books on Kindle, and you can’t create the table of contents at the beginning without this.

Have been looking at this Kindle Workflow:

http://mythikimagination.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/step-by-step-scrivener-to-kindle.html

But, frustratingly, its done for the Mac version, and lots of the settings don’t seem comparable.

Can anyone who has done this for the Windows version of Scrivener point me in the direction of how their workflow to create Kindle books with Windows Scrivener works?

Thanks.

The big omissions seems to be how to get a working Table of Contents at the beginning of the document (which is where a reader would expect it)?

Also, what is the windows version equivalent of “section break”?

Well, I finally finished the documentation of my Final-Project and had to go the fodt way with LibreOffice. Adding the TOC was done easily with LO. Internal Links didn’t work at all, had to get rid of them. The internal footnotes mostly worked. Two or three didn’t, I checked the mmd and entering a newline after the footnote helped to export them correctly in these case, adding a space didn’t. Had to get rid of the newline afterwards in the LO document of course. As all footnotes appear at the end in a mmd file, the errors are easily found luckily. Forget about pictures for now. It was much easier to add them afterwards. They show up correctly, but arent’ shown in the preview or the pdf. Definition lists, didn’t convert well either, but could be fixed by hand easily in LO. So all in all, Scrivener was great for writing and structure, not so good for the rest. But that’s ok. Of course it would be nice to press compile and have a nicely formatted document in whatever format, but the windows beta isn’t quit there yet. Hopefully one year from now it is where the mac version is now.

MMD doesn’t use Scrivener Links for anything (except one special case where if you SL to a binder graphic, then it will change the linked text to the name of the graphic file and export the graphic along with the output file—this way you can insert custom MMD image code). To use cross-references in MMD, you need to use the MMD syntax for doing so. This is easy to use, just type in the name of the binder item you wish to link to and enclose it in brackets. If the name of the item is sufficient for the visible link, then place a second set of empty square brackets after or before it. Otherwise, place the visible text in brackets, then the name of the item you are linking to after it. So two examples:

See Also: [][Name of Section]

[See also][Name of Section]

Which would output to:

See Also: Name of Section

See also

…respectively.

The final ingredient you need, of course, is for the section you are linking to to be titled in the Formatting compile options.