scrivener locks on start - problem of already open windows?

Hi

I have Scrivener running on an iMac running OSX 10.9.2. There were half a dozen Scriv projects open last time I shut the application and now when I try to start it, it appears in the dock, and the titles of the projects are available in the dock context menu, but it doesn’t respond and the dock context menu has ‘force quit’.

I’ve been using some of the project files on a different installation, and they’re synced with dropbox and I have also been fiddling about with DB on this machine, so it seems likely to me that Scrivener is a bit confused about the file locations.

So what I’d like to do is to open Scrivener without it trying to open the projects that were open last time I used it - is that possible?

Thanks, Jon

update: after sitting locked for forty mins or so while I was getting on with other things, scrivener suddenly woke up, so perhaps the problem was not what I thought it was, so please consider this question resolved.

If there is a way of doing what I asked, though, it would be good to know. It might be useful, for instance, if there was a project open on another installation, synced through dropbox, and previously open before shutting Scrivener down on the machine I am using. This has happened to me before and I’ve had to delay using Scrivener so I can go and shut down the other one first (sometimes takes a day if I’m in the wrong place) or risk a syncing conflict. Poor DB hygiene, I know.

Thanks,
J

Yes, there is an option in the General preference pane to disable this behaviour: “Reopen projects that were open on quit”. For recovery situations where you have a project that is hanging up on load, then you can keep the Shift key held down while Scrivener is launching, to temporarily disable this feature.

Great - many thanks.

J