scrivener, multimarkdown, latex and sente

I am a newbie trying to get familiar with scrivener and latex documents (through mmd). I am particularly keen on this combination as I use many equations. I have not yet started looking into the handling of citations when moving from scrivener to latex. I like Sente as a bibliography/citation manager.

Is there a way that I can integrate my Sente citations and output them into latex and generate bibliographies? There may be an obvious answer but any help would be appreciated.

This thread might better belong in the “software by other folks” forum.

I am not a LaTex user (habitually although I have used it to generate equations). The citation tags for in-text citations can be generated by Sente if you select that format in the Format menu for drag/drop, copy/paste, etc. If Latex does not show up in the list of formats, you may need to make it a “Favorite” under the WIndow > Bibliography Format Editor setup. If the LaTex format is specified, it will come into your Scrivener document as something like:

\cite{Calkins:PsychologicalReview:1894}

Then you can generate the bibliography using BibTex I gather. I am guessing you’d compile to the MMD, then run through LaTex using BibTex? Sente can generate a BibTex file of its references. The following Google search might yield some useful information from Sente’s support forums:
google.com/search?q=latex+bi … derapp.com

Best wishes,
Dana

Thanks for your helpful reply!

Even though I should probably ask the Sente forum about this I thought you might know: If I use the Latex bibliography/citing format in Scrivener notes (\cite{Calkins:PsychologicalReview:1894}) and then decide to compile in word, would I still be able to scan successfully with Sente to generate a bibliography and proper reference/citing format?

Ideally, I would like the citing format not to tie me to a particular document/typesetting environment so that I could either compile to Latex or Word or Pages and still be able to generate formatted bibliographies.

Am I asking for too much?

If I understand you correctly you want to take a Word document, with BibTex citation tags: \cite{a:p:y}, and scan it using Sente to generate in-text citations and bibliography, correct? If that’s what you mean, then no, Sente will not recognize BibTex citation tags; you need to use a tag delimiter that Sente recognizes: { } or ( ) or or -{ }- with the cite IDs inside the delimiters.

That is exactly what I was hoping to be able to do, i.e., true separation of content from output. I guess this means that I will have to decide when placing citation marks in Scrivener whether the ultimate document will be Latex or other and choose BibTex or {} accordingly. Thanks!

You could, of course, use find/replace on the Word document to replace the BibTex citation tags with Sente tags. Word supports some kind of regular expression style replacement syntax with backreferencing, so you could use find and replace. It is not 100% foolproof, because the BibTex citation tag format is not specified, so the tag could be anything you want, as specified in your BibTex file. But assuming you are using the tags automatically generated by Sente (author:title:year) then it might work. Also, for references by the same author in the same year, Sente might generate a different year identifier for the BibTex tag than the Sente tag (i.e. appending an a to one and not the other; I can’t test this at the moment).

Use Advanced Find and Replace.
In Find what: insert the following: \cite{([A-Z,a-z,0-9]@):[A-Z,a-z,0-9]@:([A-Z,a-z,0-9]@)}
In Replace with: insert the following: {\1 \2}
Check “Use wildcards”

That should replace the tags with {author year} - again with the caveats above.

Another BibTex cite tag format I have seen in Sente is AuthorYearTitleword - I am not sure where these are coming from - they may be from references imported from databases, which might include the BibTex tags. If that’s the case, you can do a second search for \cite{([A-Z,a-z]@)([0-9]{4})[A-Z,a-z,0-9]@} – that will pull out the author and year as the first and second backreference strings.

PS: See this page for the syntax for the regular expressions in find and replace: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/add-power-to-word-searches-with-regular-expressions-HA001087305.aspx