Scrivener No Longer Auto-Opens

Suddenly Scrivener has stopped opening automatically to the last place I was working in my novel. Now after the app launches I have to go and choose from the RECENT FILES drop-down menu to open the project. Why is this not working?

I’m running the latest version of the software on a MacBook Air running Catalina 10.15.2

Probably because the setting in Preferences was changed, not to open with last project. Or because you closed the project before closing Scrivener.

No, the preference is the exact same: REOPEN PROJECTS THAT WERE OPEN ON QUIT. That is still ‘checked.’

I always do a SAVE on whatever I’m working on and then also do a SAVE AS to a safety folder I have on iCloud. And then I quit Scrivener.

Are you saying I should just close the app down and without doing saves and then it will open to the last project open?

No.
But do you Close the projects before quitting Scrivener?
Save is not necessary. Scrivener does it automatically. Unless you have set Backup on manual save, in Preferences. Then you get an automatic backup.
Have you done the built-in interactive tutorial, so you understand how Scrivener works?
(why are you doing an extra Save As?)

Note that doing a Save As may be having unintended side effects. When you do a Save As, Scrivener makes a new copy of your project (as intended), but then assumes that is where you want to be working from. Basically, it makes this branch of your project the latest, newest version.

You can use the Project backup settings to specify that you want an automatic backup copy saved to your safety folder. That way, when you close the project, Scrivener will a) save the project to your main working directory AND b) create a backup copy in your safety folder without thinking that location is an active working copy of your project.

Please note that if you do a Save As as your last act before closing Scrivener, then the “last open project” will be the new iCloud copy that you just created.

This is a very common cause of “lost” work, when people open a different version of the project than they expect. So please use unique names so that you can easily identify which copy is which.

Katherine

Kathrine

THANK YOU, your comment just solved a lot of perplexing and troubling issues.

By the way Kathrine. I am still unable to get Scrivner to auto-open to the last part of the project I was writing in after I close and then reopen the app.

This function used to happen in the past but has suddenly stopped. Any idea why?

When you reopen, what do you see? The standard Project Chooser window? Nothing? An error message?

If you’re sure that the reopen option is configured, there are three ways I can think of to cause it to not work:

• Hold the Shift key when the program starts, which will open without any projects.

• Move the project, so that Scrivener can’t find it to open it. That would include trying to open a project on an external drive that’s not connected. This should give an error message.

• Close all projects before closing Scrivener, so that there is no “last project” to reopen.

Katherine

Now at open it simply brings up the Project Templates selector. From there I have to choose from the OPEN RECENT dropdown.

Yes, I’ve double-checked preferences and the REOPEN PROJECTS AT QUIT IS selected.

[i]* Hold the Shift key when the program starts, which will open without any projects.

• Move the project, so that Scrivener can’t find it to open it. That would include trying to open a project on an external drive that’s not connected. This should give an error message.

• Close all projects before closing Scrivener, so that there is no “last project” to reopen.[/i]

What exactly will this do? And where do I put my book/project after it’s been moved?

I’m not following.

Thanks

You misunderstand. Those aren’t troubleshooting suggestions, those are actions that could cause the behavior that you’re seeing.

Katherine