Scrivener no longer opening

Earlier today I opened Scrivener as normal and everything seemed to be working. About ten minutes ago I tried to open it again to update a couple of files and it’s now hanging partway into loading. As far as I can tell nothing has changed or updated in between these attempts. I usually have to use the qt script posted in a previous version’s release thread in order to load it, but aside from that it seemed to be working perfectly. Now I get this error message:

./scrivenerqtscript.sh: line 1: mypath=/home/username/.kde4/lib/kde4/plugins/:/usr/lib/kde4/plugins/: No such file or directory

I don’t even see a directory named lib in .kde4. Does anyone else know what this means or how to fix it please? Thanks. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I use Opensuse 11.4. And KDE4 as the error message suggests.

Are you using the most recent version? They provided a script to use to start Scrivener. Did anything change on your computer? Any new updates?

For what it’s worth, I’ve had issues sometimes with random corruption and cruft in the .kde4 directory.

Can you start Scrivener via command line? If not, what errors do you get?

Now that sounds reeeeeeally kinky :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :wink:

Updates are forced, aren’t they? :open_mouth: So I’m pretty sure it is the most recent version. And yes I always have to open it from the command line because of the QT bug. No new updates, nothing new installed. :frowning:

Okay…can you open it with a completely new user account? (That is, new account, log in, see if Scrivener starts?) If so, it’s likely something corrupted in your .kde4 directory. (I’ve had that happen…deleting it works, although you’ll lose all your configurations and installed widgets/themes. You should back those directories up first.)

Hey, other thing i thought of: if you’re one of the people affected by the File > Open bug with media things in the Research folder (or have a sound/video file in the Research folder set to open), what you can do is open any other project via command line (Navigate to the project directory, and do “Scrivener filename.scriv project.scrivx”, and it should open the non-media laden file.)

I had that happen once, where I was working on a file in Windows/WIne and dorking with video embedding. I forgot that my focus was on the media file, and it would crash Linux Scrivener every time I opened it. I opened the other file back in WINE, switched to another document in the binder, saved, and was able to open it up in Linux again.

I don’t think I’ve ever tried to embed a media file. Certainly not in the file that I currently have open which is only a few days old and contains only text. I’ll try making a new user account tomorrow. It does actually open now, though it’s fairly slow and I’m still getting the error message as well. Though my entire laptop screen has in fact started to freeze up completely too for a few seconds at a time, so I think I’ll be reseating the CPU too next time it goes off and then running a couple of general tests.