Scrivener not applying software updates

I don’t know how much of this has to do with the fact that I upgraded to Windows 8.1, but in the past two days, Scrivener has told me that my software is still at 1.5.7 and that I need to install the latest update.

This happens once every day. So November 1st I installed the update for 1.6.1, and then it worked fine for a day, but when I fired up my computer on November 2nd, and launched Scrivener, it had once more reverted to 1.5.7 and said that I needed to update my Scrivener software to the latest update.

This has continued to happen. Today, without fail, just like yesterday, the day before, and the day before that, I opened Scrivener, and it told me that my Scrivener software was at version 1.5.7 and that I needed to update my software.

It does sound like the updater isn’t working for some reason; odd that you’re not getting any errors that indicate such. Have you had multiple versions installed in the past? I wonder if it’s installing updates to the wrong location. I’d suggest uninstalling your current version(s), either by running the uninstall.exe in the Scrivener installation directory or via Programs & Features in the Control Panel, and then downloading the full 1.6.1 installer from the site and running that manually. That should take care of whatever the problem is with trying to apply the updates and get you all up to speed. Uninstalling won’t affect your existing projects, which are saved externally to the program (in your Documents folder by default, though you may have chosen another location when creating the project). You can also save your program settings before uninstalling by going to Tools > Options… and choosing “Save Preferences” from the Manage menu button. After the uninstall/reinstall process, just return there to load the saved preference file.

I did end up uninstalling and just re-installing with the latest scrivener installer. I figured that a fresh install might fix the problem, but with it being nanowrimo and all, having to constantly install updates really cuts into writing time. The last time I did a fresh install was when I got my new laptop (that I’m now using) a little over a year ago.
I just wasn’t sure if it was simply an issue of windows 8.1 not playing nice with Scrivener, since updating and fixing my iTunes player has been a headache the past two weeks to get it to play nice with 8.1. I learned my lesson from updating my iTunes player, never just to assume that it’s just the program that’s broken, instead of possibly something to do with the program’s compatibility with 8.1.

I just updated to 1.6.1 (I think) and all the folders and pages in my current project are empty. Everything has gone. Help.

Same for me. Running 1.6.0.0 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Keeps telling me to update to 1.6.1, which I do, following the same procedure as before - IE - let it do the update. Next day reprompts again to update.
Nothing exciting for me in 1.6.1 so I’m ignoring the update for now.

Back up everything. Uninstall Scrivener. Install using the install file on the website (which is 1.6.1) just click Download for Windows. That will fix your problem, since you will now be on 1.6.1.

So the fresh reinstall, in fact, did not work. Instead it reverted to 1.5.7 (once more) and alerted me of updates to 1.6.1.0. I have no clue what to say at this point since there does appear, at this point, to be something inherently wrong with the program. I have no clue what, but it shouldn’t have reverted back to 1.5.7 on a fresh re-install.

It sounds like either you have multiple copies of Scrivener installed on your system, or you had a browser cache issue and did not in fact download a fresh copy of 1.6.1 but instead were regurgitated the old 1.5.7 download. I’d try searching your system for the Scrivener.exe and wiping out any old copies.

Okay, so here’s what I did yesterday.
Uninstalled yet again.
I ran the Wise Care 365 program on my comptuer, wiping out any invalid extentions or registry files that Scrivener would have left behind, that way it wiped out any potential lingering traces of Scrivener.
Rebooted the computer.
Re-installed Scrivener, but this time I did it with the install file for Scrivener Windows 1.0 (essentially) that was still in my downloads folder. After registering it, I updated the program.
Then I checked for the update, and installed the update for 1.6.1.
I started my computer up just a few minutes ago.
It kept the update this time!