Scrivener on Leopard

I believe that’s flameth nat me.

Tim (cyberian smart-ass)

Hmmm. Not sure. Might be some sort of subjunctive form (as in “I pray you blame nat me”) rather than an imperative?

Siren (grammarian smart-ass who has never read any Chaucer) :slight_smile:

I can’t believe I just posted that. What sort of weirdo forum degenerates into discussion of Chaucerian grammar??? :slight_smile:

This one.

Tim

Why not? :smiley:

Here’s the full quote: “Blameth nat me if that ye chese amys.” It’s what the host says to the contestants on Deal or No Deal .

Well, I never did finish my PhD in med. lit. So shooteth me.

I found out why Safari 3.0 won’t load on any of my machines: it wants to find Safari 2 standing by itself in the Applications folder. That is a throwback to old requirements. In Tiger, it’s permitted to store applications in folders, labeled by type. Guess I will wait a while longer.

I believe that’s only for installation purposes, though, because Saf 3 overwrites both the Saf 2 application and the core Webkit service in OSX. All you have to do is move (or copy, should work just as well) the Saf 2 app back into the Mac HD/Applications folder, install Saf 3… then move Saf 3 out to wherever you normally store your apps.

(Personally I leave all system apps in the MacHD/Apps folder anyway, because I can always reinstall them from the system disks. Third-party apps I keep in a separate, self-created ~/Applications folder.)

Antony, thanks for the tip. I will try it out. Maybe after Apple gets done issuing security updates and the complaints about stability ease off.

Keith,

I definitely think the darker toolbar’s the way to go. (Does it have an official name? Unbrushed metal?) One thing: do you have any plans to change the colour of the status bar at the bottom to match, a la iTunes or Journler? The discrepancy’s making my eyeballs itch, now that I’ve had the misfortune to notice it.

That said, going from the rest of the comments, it seems no-one else’s bothered by it. Could well just be me. Sulk.

I am hoping that some of the more subtle widget looks in iTunes make it over to the general OS by final release. Particularly, the scroll bars, checkboxes, and buttons. I think part of the ‘odd’ feel we are seeing is the combination of blue gel toothpaste and expensive metal. At least that is what strikes me as a fashion anachronism.

As I understand it, iTunes follows the darker design of iPhoto and the iApps. Scrivener, by contrast, follows the lighter design of Mail. All toolbars in Leopard are the same (new dark grey) colour. The default background of windows, as you can see in the screenshots Apple have posted, is a lighter grey - so the bottom status bar won’t change in Scrivener, no. I think too many dark borders would be distracting in Scrivener.

Not that I really have much more of a clue as to how Leopard looks right now than any of you do. Despite Apple’s advertising on the Leopard Early Start Kit page (which was the sole reason I signed up for an ADC Select membership), which states quite clearly that the “Kit” will allow you to download “the latest pre-release versions of Mac OS X Leopard”, Apple have yet to seed the Leopard beta showcased at WWDC to anybody who did not attend - despite the fact that hundreds of thousands of developers such as myself have paid hundreds of dollars explicitly for access to the latest available versions of Leopard. This has put me in such a bad mood with Apple that it is slowing down my development of Scrivener just because I keep getting riled and checking the website. It is really frustrating knowing that you are checking compatibility against an outdated version and that Apple is deliberately holding off from providing developers with a means of ensuring that as many programs as possible are fully compatible with Leopard as soon as possible. Surely the more time we have the better?

Uh, anyway. You know what, I think we should keep this on topic and I’ll rant about this in the “And now for that latte…” forum.

Best,
Keith

I completely agree. That was a stupid move on their part; they should have seeded as soon as hard copies were being handed out in California. The only reasoning I can see for this move is to placate an anticipated backlash at the lacklustre keynote presentation by attendees who already saw that presentation last year.

I don’t see that as a good reason, though. Attendees presumably go for the hands-on support from Apple engineers - if could have made it, that would have been my main reason for attending. The Leopard beta I would have expected available on the membership site to which I subscribed for just that purpose anyway - having it on DVD would just be a bonus that saved me from downloading it. Placating 5,000 attendees and then denying 100,000+ other paying members who have paid for the right to the “latest” versions of Leopard is more than stupid, it is plain dishonest. I’m pretty sure I could make a good case for a refund of my membership based on this (but as Apple no doubt know, developers such as myself cannot afford to demand a refund, as we need access to Leopard and have to suck it up and wait for the crumbs they throw us).

I cannot believe that more developers are not angry about this and complaining vociferously on forums everywhere. It seems there’s only me that’s bothered. Very strange - but then I do tend to react.

But seriously, to anyone who thinks that Apple is any less of an evil company than Microsoft, this is a good reminder that they are just a smaller evil company who happen to make a better OS. Well, “evil” is a bit strong, but you get my point. :slight_smile:

Best,
Keith

I too thinketh it be silly to not seed thy Leopard OS to paying developers. That is most brutish of our friends in Cupertino.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/22/apple-to-release-latest-leopard-beta-to-developers-who-couldnt/

Looks like you may get the seed… soon… hopefully.

Keith,

I’m a fellow developer (sweet app, btw! I’m banging out a novel with it). I was talking to some Apple folks the other day and asked them about the delay between handing out the Leopard seed at WWDC and posting it online. The official answer is that to they planned all along to “give it to WWDC attendees first to reward them for attendance and then post on ADC for [other] members.”

My response – :imp:

I told them that this was probably not a good plan in the future. I’m one of the lucky ones who gets to attend WWDC (not trying to rub it in, I promise) and we get plenty of other rewards for attendance – free laptop bags, t-shirts, free food, watching Steve show off “one more thing” in person, et al. Getting the Leopard seed in advance is one reward the attendees don’t particularly need–at least I’ve never heard any of them moaning about the fact that it was being released the same day as the keynote to the rest of the ADC world. Anyway, I told them that creating an artificial delay in releasing the seed is not at Good Thing ™, and I pointed them towards your blog post as Exhibit A. So, in short, your concerns (and those of many other developers in your position) have been officially presented to Apple. Will a personal appeal will change anything? Maybe. I’ve seen them change WWDC stuff up in the past in direct response to developer feedback; but whether they do or not, ADC’s Developer Relations people have been officially put on notice that their little “reward” almost certainly cost them as much goodwill as it earned them.

I know it’s not the same as an apology from Apple, but please know that you’re not a lone voice crying in the wilderness. Even if they’re not burning down their blog pages, some of your fellow Mac developers are trying to watch your back.

Thanks. :slight_smile: It’s interesting that they are quite happy to state plainly that the early beta was a “reward” for attending. That is quite appalling. I did e-mail them and someone from Developer Relations phoned me, but I didn’t get around to calling her back as I was at work at the time. There wasn’t really much they could have said to me anyway, as I doubt they were about to promise never to do it again. :slight_smile:

Anyway, thank you for showing my angry ranting blog post to some Apple folk - it’s nice to think that the right people might have read it. Whatever, though, there is no way I’m renewing my ADC membership next year. There will be less reason to anyway, with Leopard being out, and their attitude to the “rest of us” just makes the decision a no-brainer.

The main point in this is that no matter which way they try to spin it, Apple sold the Leopard Early Start Kit under false pretences. They promised the “latest seeds of Leopard as they become available” etc., and then one day started promising the beta first exclusively at WWDC. I’m actually tempted to go to the Advertising Standards Authority, I really am, except that I don’t think it would be a good idea for an indie developer to upset Apple too much. :slight_smile:

Best,
Keith

Aye! You’ll find your program dumbed down to the barest minimum and being given away on all new computers as Apple Paragraphs or something.