Scrivener on Linux with WINE

Discovered Scrivener a few weeks ago and I’m very keen on purchasing a copy. Currently I do my writing in LibreOffice and after seeing what Scrivener can provide, LibreOffice now seems a bit bare-bones when it comes to writing fiction.

However, a few years back I’ve made the switch over to Linux. From what I can tell, the Scrivener port there has essentially been abandoned. In that case, I’d have to be using WINE in order to use the current version.

Using the trial version, it seems to run well enough but are there any heavy users using it this way? I’d like to know your experience with it before I commit to purchase. Thanks.

Brother,

I am using Scrivener for Mac. But I also wish to see if I can run Scrivener 3 Windows on Ubuntu 20.

Since you mentioned that the trial runs properly, could you please outline the steps you did?

All I assume is you install the latest version of wine, download the Scriv 3 Windows trial from website, install, and it will run properly. Is that a correct assumption?

Please advise.

Cheers.

Incorrect assumption, unfortunately. The latest Wine is buggy wrt Scrivener (or it was as of a month or two ago).

I use Play On Linux (POL) and install Scrivener using Wine 5.x instead of 6.x. Also, make sure the Speech SDK and Dotnet 4.6.2 or greater are installed in the bottle.

If any of that makes no sense to you, you might want to spend some time learning Wine and POL. Start with POL perhaps.

Good luck,

Thomas

[this is not a sig]

Brother,

I am using Scrivener for Mac. But I also wish to see if I can run Scrivener 3 Windows on Ubuntu 20.

Since you mentioned that the trial runs properly, could you please outline the steps you did?
https://mobdro.bio/ https://kodi.bio/
All I assume is you install the latest version of wine, download the Scriv 3 Windows trial from website, install, and it will run properly. Is that a correct assumption?

Please advise.

Cheers.

I got this as a solution to me…

Sorry, this reply is confusing to me. For starters, the trail is no longer available.

As to what to do, try what you suggested yourself, then if it doesn’t work, use the suggestions I outlined in my reply above.

Thomas