Scrivener program folder

Have I created a housekeeping mess for myself? Just installed the new version (back flips, fireworks) and the update insisted on doing the install to my Scrivener_BETA folder under Program files. Should I be concerned? rename the folder? just leave things be?
Thanks!

Automatic updates will use the path of the last installed location, as that’s what will be written in the registry. You can uninstall the program to wipe that (and delete the installation folder afterward if necessary) and then run the full installer to choose a different location, which will then be used for future updates.

Thanks, Jennifer!

I just attempted to download the latest update (1.7.1.0) to my laptop. I’ve verified the EXE location via the shortcut I use to open the program (C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe) each time I use it (its never changed or been reinstalled).

When I attempt the download I’m told that "Scrivener is currently not running from its last installed location. It then tell me the last installed location is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe”. I’ve added C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe to my laptop’s search path and verified that the EXE is in the folder where it should be.

I’d rather avoid the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling. Is there a way to manually download the update and run it myself on my system.

Rig: HP Pavilion tx 1000, Vista Premium 64 bit, Athlon Turon 64x2 2.0 Mhz, 2GB memory, 105GB HDD. I have no errors of any kind in my logs.

PS. I’m a geek, I have no aversion to tweaking my registry.

Hi All,

I have just got the same installation issue. Doing a search on the (windows) hard drive shoed that there is a second scrivener.exe in the folder C:\Program Files\Scrivener\backups\C\Program Files\Scrivener

coudl this be the cause of the issue?

Ian

The update problems are addressed in this post, here, which provides details for editing the registry as an alternative to just downloading and installing the full installer, for those who are inclined to some geekery. :wink:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/comparison-to-other-word-processors-and-writing-tools/68/1

As a note, though, it is not necessary to uninstall 1.6.1 first–you can run the full installer directly over the current version and simply manually point it to install in the same directory.