Scrivener project launcher

I’m at the point I have several Scriv projects I use regularly (two novels, a serial fiction series, and an “all other” file) and consistently switch between files. The New Project window in Scriv, with the templates, is wonderful for beginners, but doesn’t help me very much. Clicking on the “Open Recent” is nice, but not very fast - or easy for anyone with physical limitations.

How about instead of the “Getting Started” and template options, add an additional tab for “Recent Files” and set the option for it to be the default. Then, when we open Scrivener, we see thumbnails of each (being able to customize the icons would be sweeter). And adding a keystroke (there may be one, but I haven’t found it) to call up the new project screen would give me quick access to my Scriv docs.

It’s interesting Scriv on iOS has a launch environment much like this. The ability to see a list, click, edit, exit and save, is quite slick. My request, or something similar, would echo that nicely and make my workflow faster.

Thanks

I would love this feature as well. I separate my projects and have quite a few ongoing and the recents list isn’t big enough to fit them all. A tab with all my Scrivener files would be extremely useful.

dweade: Have you tried using the icon view in Finder? Or are the default icons not informative enough?

Peskat: The number of items in the Recent Projects can be customized. Apple -> System Preferences -> General tab.

Katherine

You can use Mission Control to show you all windows from a single app, with one key stroke. Then you can quickly switch between the different Scrivener windows.

This is something you can do today to give you the equivalent of what you’re asking for…

In the Finder, use the search field to type in “.scriv” (without the quotes). There’ll be a little toolbar that appears in the Finder window. There should be something to choose that resembles “Scrivener Project” or whatever is equivalent; click that. Also choose the search context “This Mac”, rather than restricting it to searching whatever folder you were in at the time. If the list of projects shows you what you want to see, then click the “Save” button in the toolbar.

Now you have something in the Finder sidebar that you can click to show you all your Scrivener projects; you can adjust the view settings for it, I believe, so that the icons are larger. Double-clicking on any one of them will load them up in Scrivener. It’s even better than the Recent Projects list, because search will find your projects wherever they’re moved to.

I apologize in advance if the instructions are too vague; I’m not at my Mac right now, but hopefully it’s close enough for you to muddle through.

Here’s some general advice on doing Finder searches, if you have more specific needs: macworld.com/article/1132817 … ight3.html

I don’t know if I’ve changed any setting anywhere – but I just right-click the Scrivener icon in the dock and there’s the 10 most recent projects listed for easy access.

Let me add to rdale’s suggestion of using a saved search in the Finder. You can add a condition so that you only see recently opened or modified projects.

So, your search conditions could be something like: File extension is .scriv AND last opened date is within last 4 weeks.* Saving that search and setting the Finder window of it to icon view as kwems said looks like a prodigious (workaround) combination.

-gr

• These are line item conditions you can set (not entries in the finder window’s Search field itself).

Dang, I thought nobody was interested as I wasn’t receiving updates. Turns out updates were off.

Thanks for the insights on this. Some of the OS focused are good ideas, but I’m hybrid. My primary writing station is a Windows 10 machine I set up in the corner of my office as a (relatively) distraction free spot where I can watch out the window when thinking. But my main computer and laptop are both Macs. So some of these work well, but not on both environments.

I’ll use some of these, but still believe a Scrivener provided solution would work best. It would make the process easier and consistent across both platforms.

Oh, and I’ll search for options for Windows 10. Maybe there are some ways similar to the Mac right click options and such. I’ll post back what I find.

Thanks for all the responses,
D

I set up a search on Windows that does the equivalent to my Finder trick, FYI. Those searches are in my “Favorites” section of the Windows file explorer (called “Windows Explore” by Microsoft, but not to be confused with “Internet Explorer”). I honestly can’t recall all the steps to setting that up, but it’s very similar, with the added step of designating the search as a “favorite”. A quick internet search should yield a “saved search” howto.

Also, I’d counter that one should let Finder/Windows Explorer find all of your projects, rather than only showing recently opened/edited projects. I feel it’s better to sort by “Date Modified” in descending order, so you can more easily find older projects using the same easy shortcut. You may have to enable that sort column in each file browser.

Good point. Sort instead of rule out. --gr

3 years old :slight_smile: And not THAT important - but it would be a nice touch, if this would be realized.
Open existing files like in the iOS app. I would like it :slight_smile:
The “solution” to create a search or sth in the finder sounds good at the first moment. But Scrivener is not the only program I (we?) are using - so if I do that for every program I am using regularly, then my finder would get pretty cluttered.
MS office has it, LibreOffice has it etc. It just saves a click or two :slight_smile:
Thank you for reading and considering!

I do Cmd-space to open a spotlight search; “s” finds Scrivener first (for me, though if you have scapple you might need to type “scr” …, though you can look down the list that’s presented if you have other apps beginning with those letters); on the right is a list of recently opened projects; click on the one you want and ta-da!

Incidentally, I have my dock hidden on the right. The only things permanently in it are Finder and Trash. I open all Apps I use regularly that way.

Mark

I do a similar thing, doing Option-space to open an Alfred search. I start most apps that way and use Alfred for a variety of other things as well

I’m on a Mac. I use an enhanced spotlight search app called HoudahSpot. It lets you save searches into templates in a menu. I also use Keyboard Maestro for automation, so I can have a list of all my Scrivener projects at the touch of a button.