Scrivener project will not open

Hi, I have been using Scrivener for a while now without incident, until tonight when I tried to open a particular scrivener project.

(I use Scrivener on one computer and store my projects on the local drive and backup onto Time Machine - nothing wrong there)

selecting it i now get a program message : "Scrivener does not support read-only projects. Check the permissions for this project in the Finder, and ensure that it is not stored on a read-only volume such as a disk image. "

checking the permissions of the project, folder & volume all appear to be in order.

opening another project in the same folder and there is no trouble, no notice, and everything opens the way they should.

I tried this on quite a few other projects in the same folder and everything is in order.

it seem as if its just this one project ( its quite huge as I use it to store different ideas or “sketches”)

I have opened it in a txt editor with out problems and I am able to see all the files in the project folder but it will not open as a scrivener project.

Does anyone have similar experiences?

Thanks

If you move/copy the project to another location, will it open?

thanks for your input.

I moved and copied the project to a number of places and it still would not open.

in the end i changed all the projects permission setting to read/write for the three permission holder ( which by the way were identical to the other projects.) and it opened.

So it seems that for some reason the project or system believes that the permissions are incorrect:

system /myself/ everyone; and by changing them all to read/write it now opens it. Strange

i have now placed the project back in the original storage folder and it opened. I have now also set the permissions back to what they were and it continues to open.

So for now what ever was preventing it from opening has been resolved. How? I have no idea.

Thanks for your help.

Glad it works. Thanks for posting the resolution: useful for other people if they hit a similar issue.

Help. I’m having something of the same problem.
I can’t access the backup folder and some of yesterdays work is gone. When I try to open the backup it says,

File is not writable: access denied. Auto-saves need write your permission to your project.

Aside from the fact that it seems to be poor English, I can’t figure this out. I also can’t get the file open from another backup source I have. It appears that all the backups I have are not even remotely up to date even though they give yesterdays date.

What is Scrivener indicating for back ups? They seem to be wrong on all THREE of my backups which means it is wrong in the Scrivener settings.

Scrivener’s automatic backups are zipped by default, meaning they are in a read-only format. Windows allows you to browse the contents of zipped files, but you cannot make changes to them. Because Scrivener constantly saves in order to keep all the project files in sync, it cannot open a file that is read-only (i.e. that it does not have permission to write to). You need to extract a copy of the project from the zipped folder, then open that. Either right-click the zipped folder and choose “Extract All” or double-click the folder and then drag out the .scriv folder to another location. You can then open the project in Scrivener as normal.

Thanks. Can you tell me why it didn’t save the document in the first place? Should I see the dialog box whenever I hit ctrl S? Should I see it when I close the file?