Scrivener Questions

Hi,

Have been trying to get access to this forum for the past month since purchasing Scrivener for some reason activation email was not being sent, now resolved :slight_smile:

I have a number of questions that i wanted to ask in regards to Scrivener sorry for the list but this has grown since not being able to get access to the forums.

Would appreciate any advice.

1. Custom Table of Contents
    In my book rather than allowing scrivener to automatically compile a table of contents i am defining my own custom table of contents this is due to the fact i have multiple table of contents. My question is when i compile this book to epub for publishing on kindle how can i insert a TOC anchor so that when selecting the Table of Contents button on a Kindle device it goes to the table of contents?

2. Chapter Headings
    My book contains more than one book a sort of boxset when compiling to epub and using the kindle preview function if i select the next chapter button it goes to the next book and not the next chapter within the current book. I should add that in the chapter text i have not included a chapter title heading i let scrivener define this during the compile process by checking the title box.

3. Headings
    My books are broken down by individual text files for each chapter. Is it possible to define a heading for each individual chapter i.e Heading - Book Name - Chapter 1. And when compiling to epub and viewing through kindle will this heading show on each page?

4)Inline footnote annotations (importing)
For some of my books i need to import content either from the web or from a document that contains hyerlinked inline footnote annotations. But after importing if i select the footnote rather than redirecting to footnote within imported document it either opens the locally stored web page on my machine or does not open at all. How can i get this to work?

I think the scrivener program is great i started using the windows version but ended up buying a mac to use the mac version which is much better, i am very happy with purchase if i can get clarification on the above points then i will be even happier.

Thanks for your support
Christian

Sorry about that! There were some server issues (unfortunately outside of our control) with sending e-mails to certain providers for a little while, and that caused a lot of forum confirmation messages to get lost. For future reference feel free to contact us directly, I manually activated a number of new accounts during that period of time.

1. If you use the Mobi compile option you’ll find all of this should work the way you want it to automatically (assuming that, in the Layout compile option pane, you’re referring to your custom ToC correctly in the ToC title field).

2. That’s just how Amazon has programmed this function: it traverses between sections at the same ToC level (it is itself ignorant of the concepts behind these levels—we humans would think of them in terms of parts and chapters, but to the software everything is just sections, maybe nested into a tree, maybe not). If you click on the NCX View button in Kindle Previewer you’ll see your parts with expandable arrows (like folders) and your chapters within those. While viewing a Part page, you are consider at the part level, and the Next Section button thus moves you to the next section at that level, Part Two. However if you were to flip into Chapter 1 and press the button, you should advance to Chapter 2, not Part 2, because now the viewer is at the chapter level.
    So one way to dodge that problem is to not use a nested ToC. There is a flag for that in Layout compile option pane. Now with everything on the same level, Next Section goes from Part 1 to Chapter 1. Personally I wouldn’t worry about too much though, everyone else’s books that have nested ToC trees will be acting the same way, so readers that regularly use this feature will be accustomed to how it works in a tree.

3. Again I’m not sure why you are using ePub for Amazon production, but that aside, if you’re referring to whatever the Kindle prints around the edge of the book display area then you have no control over what prints there. You can think of that as being akin to a scrollbar, or the Location # printout or navigation bar from older Kindles.

4. Could you clarify what it is you are doing here, perhaps as a sequence of steps that I could follow along, including an example page you are importing? I’m kind of confused since HTML has no concept of a footnote but it sounds like you’re expecting an imported web page to have a software footnote in the same sense that an imported .docx file would.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and the Mac version! :slight_smile: