Scrivener quickreference, project notes, and Lion fullscreen

Hi everyone,

I would like to be able to have Scrivener open in Lion fullscreen mode, and at the same time have project notes and/or quickreference windows open on the desktop space outside of the fullscreen environment. The main reason is I want to be able to take notes from a pdf with a quickreference panel without taking Scrivener out of fullscreen mode. I have tried minimising quickreference windows and project notes to the dock and then reopening them in a blank desktop space, but this doesn’t seem to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Salmon

As far as I understand it, this is how stuff is supposed to work with OS X Full Screen. This is an OS feature that we support, and so the creation of windows under its control will follow the behaviour it restricts you by. Individual windows will not come up in Mission Control, meaning you cannot move them from space to space. This is just how the feature is meant to work. Full screen mode means you want to pretend the whole computer is that one application. It is no longer meant to interface with anything outside of itself.

There are some workarounds you can employ to your advantage. One isn’t even a workaround, it is a direct method for doing this, and that is the scratch pad. The scratch pad is omnipresent on all spaces, always floats to the top, and isn’t tied to any projects so it can be open no matter what state the project windows are in, or even if they are open.

Secondly, there is a way to fool the OS into opening a QR panel outside of full screen—you just have to open it first. Make sure all of your desired note panels are open before you begin, and then take the program full screen. They will stay behind.

Thirdly, you can just emulate full screen by moving Scrivener to its own Space, maximising it and living with the menu bar. That way you can freely use the basic OS features for window management without limitation.