Scrivener quits when I try to open a document

I’m running the older version of Scrivener because I’m in the middle of a couple of books and don’t want to jinx things by loading the new one. I tried to open a saved document and it crashed repeatedly or would show a blank main page. Now it won’t open at all.

I looked at the packets and there seem to be a lot of them, so I would guess it’s okay someplace, but I need to access it.

I’m running Version 1.54 on a MacBook Pro with version 10.6.4 and a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Thankfully, I can open my other Scrivener project that is due sooner.

And if it helps, this is a document that has been renamed and edited several times - it’s part of a series, so I might save the document under a new name (like “Fifth Book”) and then add and delete material, keeping the stuff that might be constant from book to book.

April

Hi,

Could you please zip up the project and send it to support AT literatureandlatte DOT com, marking the subject line, “Attn. Keith”, if the project isn’t too big? That way I can take a look at it and figure out what is causing the crash. Also, could you please copy the gobbledegook from the Apple crash reporter that appears and paste it in a reply here?

Thanks!
All the best,
Keith

The gobbledy-gook doesn’t even appear any more. I’ll try to figure out how to zip it up. Do I need a special application for that?

Just right-click (ctrl-click) on the .scriv package and choose “compress ‘[projectname].scriv’” and it will make a .zip of the project there in the same folder.

I figured out how to zip all by myself! And I’ll send you the file now.

I can’t send you the file - it’s too big. It’s 138.6 MB before I compress, and 138.2 after I zip it, which does not seem much smaller at all.

I also tried going back a few weeks and opening up a copy from Time Machine, but it quits as well.

Any other suggestions?

Do you get anything Scrivener-related in Console when you try to open the project? That might help, if you could paste it here. (Open Applications>Utilities>Console.app and have that running when you try to open the file, then just copy out anything that comes up.)

Wow, I didn’t even know about the Console.

Here are some recent messages:
11/24/10 10:10:39 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[77] ([0x0-0x4bdfbdb].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener[60248]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault
11/24/10 10:10:41 AM ReportCrash[60255] Saved crash report for Scrivener[60248] version 1.54 (1.54) to /Users/aprilhenry/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Scrivener_2010-11-24-101041_april-henrys-macbook-pro.crash
11/24/10 10:10:48 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[77] ([0x0-0x4be4be0].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener[60260]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault
11/24/10 10:10:48 AM ReportCrash[60255] Saved crash report for Scrivener[60260] version 1.54 (1.54) to /Users/aprilhenry/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Scrivener_2010-11-24-101048_april-henrys-macbook-pro.crash

We could arrange to share the project over Dropbox if that’s okay - drop me an e-mail via support AT literatureandlatte DOT com (marking the subject “Attn. Keith”). I won’t be able to look at it until next week though because I’m releasing 2.0.1 tomorrow and then I’m off for a long weekend away, sorry! (It might be worth trying with 2.0.1 tomorrow to see if that fixes it though, and then if not we can arrange to share the file over Dropbox so I can see it for myself.)

Thanks,
Keith

I downloaded the latest version (which seems to be 2.0) and while I am able to open up one book (the one that’s on a tighter deadline), I still can’t open the other.

I can limp along until next week - but hopefully I can fix this sometime.

From the Console:
11/24/10 3:15:11 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[77] ([0x0-0x4cc3cbf].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[60777]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error
11/24/10 3:15:16 PM ReportCrash[60810] Saved crash report for Scrivener[60777] version 2.0 (2.0) to /Users/aprilhenry/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Scrivener_2010-11-24-151515_april-henrys-macbook-pro.crash

Definitely send an e-mail to support AT if you haven’t already and I’ll look at this as soon as Im back.

Thanks!
Keith

Are you back yet? Now what?

Just FYI to anyone reading this thread, it turned out to be a corrupted Quick Time movie I had for research. Someone in Scrivener support was able to take out the movie and give me back the file.

Glad you got it working! That someone must have been Ioa seeing as I didn’t see it, and there are only two of us doing the support. :slight_smile: