Scrivener Randomly Closing

I just downloaded this program yesterday to my Windows Vista Laptop. I love the organization tools. I split the screen so the doc is on the left and the cork board on the right, and take notes at the same time. However, for random reasons, the program will close. I pushed Tab and it closed. I double-clicked on the cork board and it closed. This is really frustrating. I keep losing progress. Am I missing something?

I just clicked the icon to create a new note card and the program closed. :angry:

I give up. I clicked off a note card and the program closed. I even made sure it was added to my antiviruses approved programs list. This is way too frustrating for me.

This also happens to me, but I don’t tend to lose anything - it opens in a different part of the document but when I go back to what I was working on, everything is still there. Are you sure you’re losing stuff? It’s still not great to have to keep reopening the programme. I think my problem is I don’t have enough free space/memory on my computer, could that be the same issue for you?

I’m sorry you’re both experiencing some trouble! Needless to say this isn’t a typical issue, and I hope we can track down the cause.

The first thing to check, if you haven’t done so explicitly, is whether you are running XFINITY’s ConstantGuard, as this software has caused this constant closing behaviour for a handful of users following some necessary and recommended changes in the codebase that disabled DEP security in order to prevent a crash caused by a bug in the activation software we use. If you’re running Constant Guard, you can resolve this by simply removing Scrivener from its block list:

1. Open Constant Guard
  2. Select the “Options” tab
  3. Click on “Manage My Blocked Program Rules”
  4. Find Scrivener on the list and check “Allow” instead of “Block”

Other antikeyloggers probably offer similar procedures, if you’re using something other than Constant Guard; you can check with the provider for specific instructions if you need them. Once you’ve whitelisted Scrivener, you should be able to work as normal, if this is the issue you’ve been experiencing.

If the above doesn’t address the issue, try running Windows in safe mode (or in diagnostic mode, if you’re familiar with using msconfig) to see if the crashing continues, as that will limit conflicts with other installed software. It’s worth also running a memory test as described here in case that turns anything up.

I’ve been having a similar problem. I’m running Windows 7, and I did not experience any trouble until I updated to version 1.5.7.0 (the previous version was whatever was current when I installed the program in December; I had not updated since then).

About three times since the update, Scrivener has randomly closed while I’ve been typing. I’ve lost little bits of work, but only about the last one to two minutes’ worth of progress, so it seems to still be autosaving up to that point.

My computer memory is fine. Any other things to try?

EDIT: It’s happened twice more since I posted this, within about 10 minutes of each other. I can’t detect a pattern regarding what actions prompt it to close.

EDIT 2: Well, there’s a partial pattern. I have an imported document I split into two scenes. Whenever I rename one of them and then try to view the next scene, the program closes. This has happened five times today. That’s not the only time it closes, but it’s the only consistent thing that causes the crash.

I’m having the same problem. I’m evaluating the trial version of scrivener. I’m on a 64-bit win7 machine with lots of ram. I am not using ConstantGuard.

Are you running RoboForm? There’s a bug with how it attaches to programs that crashes Scrivener. We’ve been in contact with the developers and they’re hoping to have this fixed for the next update, but in the meanwhile you can resolve the issue by disabling the option “Automatically attach to Windows applications” or by adding the Scrivener program path to the list at RoboForm > Options > Applications Integration to prevent RoboForm attaching to it.