Scrivener repeatedly quits

This morning i updated my Mac OS to OS X 10.9.3.

Since i have down this Scrivener is unusable. Every time i type the first key stroke it quits. I reopen it, send the report to Apple and Scrivener and try again. Same thing happens.

Please can you help as i was on the verge of having my novel ready to send out to agents and i now cannot finish editing or do anything as it keeps quitting. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Just a thought - have you tried re-installing Scrivener? (I have 10.9.3 with no problems.)

Reinstalling is always a good initial troubleshooting step for any program. Resetting your preferences is a good second step.

Another thing to know here is that Mac OS X 10.8 and 10.9 broke a lot of old plug-ins and utilities. In some cases that won’t affect other software, but some types will attempt to place themselves in contextual menus and other various global functions. On a Mac, things are often very interconnected. One misbehaving plug-in can bring all kinds of software down with it.

So it’s always a good idea to audit everything you have installed when you do a major upgrade. Make sure everything is up to date, and if the last release date for something pre-dates 10.8, consider it suspect and trying running without that installed.

Fortunately there is an easy way to test whether or not this is a problem for you: simply reboot the computer, and right after you hear the chime, hold down the Shift key until the entire boot sequence is complete. You’re now in “safe mode”, with all third-party plug-ins and auto-load software disabled. Try running Scrivener in this state, without launching anything else, and see if your troubles persist.