Scrivener silently crashes after being open for some time

I rarely shut off my computer, so I tend to just leave it alone and go away to do my own things.

From time to time upon returning I keep finding scrivener to be closed, despite me leaving it open prior. I’ve yet to catch it crashing in person while I work in it, thankfully, so I think it has something to do with idling too long maybe?

Probably not a crash as you say in title. I don’t know about the Windows version, but on the macOS version there is a setting to automatically quit Scrivener after a period of inactivity. See Menu: Preferences, Tab General, and look for “Automatic Quit”. Is there something there like that?

Re you rarely shutting off computer, all computers benefit by a re-boot every so often. I re-boot my Mac’s at least once a week. Windows computers surely would benefit also. Just my two-bits.

1 Like

Oh my, indeed, there was! What a weird setting to have. Thanks!

I think they have this optional settings to help protect projects and the documents. Closing Scrivener saves all files and depending on your backup settings, will save the backup. Writing projects are precious.

Personally, I have this setting turned off and wouldn’t really want to use it.
I don’t see how this can protect a project in any way…

For example, let’s say you have a cat… more even, that cat has his/her opinions on the quality of your writing/story telling abilities… As any loving cat would, laying on your keyboard as you are away buying fancy cat food for this dear friend of yours, he/she all so naturally, giving you a helping paw, proceeds to fix and edit this oh so naïve draft of yours. (You’ll thank him/her later, of course, in the credits, meow.)
Then the software saves your cat’s editing. Which is good, cuz your cat doesn’t have that part figured out yet.

Here is how I handle the save/backup of my projects.
First, note that whenever I leave my computer, I minimize Scrivener. Also note that I use the auto-snapshot on manual saves feature.
This being said, I am sort of a backup freak. During the course of a day, I can easily backup the project I am working on up to 15/20 times.
I use the “backup to” feature, which backups my project to a specific folder, on my desktop, which is named “Novels Backups”.
Inside that folder, I have a sub folder named “00 Archived”.
Whenever I am done for the day, I take the last backup of each project I worked on during that time period and upload it to my cloud backup.
I then move this/those to the “00 Archived” folder and delete the other backups done earlier during that day.
Finally, every so often, I backup the content of the “00 Archived” folder to an external backup disk.

If a cat, a bird, a fish or even an ex-girlfriend decides to do something about this damn novel of mine, although I very well might have been working on other chapters of that “improved” version of my novel for a while, at the point where I’ll realize the extent of the horror, I’ll still be ok despite the drama, systematically having – either in the snapshots or as a hard drive/cloud backup – a clone of the “just before it hit the fan” version.

Well, I guess for you it’s good it’s optional. :wink:

1 Like

There have been many people who use Scrivener on a machine at home and a machine at work and who have arrived at work to discover that they hadn’t quit their project at home — or vice versa — and therefore were unable to access it without making a new copy and then having to sort it all out later. With the automatic quit, they don’t have that problem.

As RMS says, it’s optional.

1 Like

I see. In that case, yes, that surely justifies the feature.

1 Like

The exact windows path is file>options>general>startup
And last checkbox option is automatically close after x amount of time. I unchecked this as auto save occurs every 2 seconds.

But valid point if project across multiple projects to prevent accidentally opening on both at same time as could mess up Dropbox file you saved.

1 Like

Yes, exactly.

We strongly recommend using this setting in any situation where more than one device has access to a project.

It’s a good rule of thumb to shut your computer down at night or whenever you have a good span of time when you aren’t going to use it. This lets your computer run updates at nonintrusive times and is good for memory, cache flushing, etc. If you don’t close your Scrivener projects, you’re also not generating automatic backups, so if your computer were to crash while the project was open and it wasn’t able to recover all of your files, you’d be a bit up the creek.

Not weird at all. Open projects are vulnerable to random glitches. They’re safer if Scrivener is closed.

It’s a waste of energy to keep a machine running 24/7, too. Around 65 watts or more is typical.

A post was split to a new topic: Crash when adding text