Scrivener stopped backing up - corrupt file?

I couple months ago, I noticed Scrivener behaving a bit strangely each time I quit. It would come up with a progress bar that said “saving file information” and then hang. The app would never quit unless I forced quit.

I decided to try to look into this a bit further today and I think what has been happening is that Scrivener is trying to write a backup file and can’t. Going into my backup folder reveals that no backups have been made for months.

I tried manually backing up to a different both the same location and a different one and the backup progress bar also hangs.

Then, I tried copying the .scriv file in the Finder and I got this error: “The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “Novel 1.scriv” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)”

I have been syncing via dropbox and there seems to be issues there. When I open the .scriv file package contents, the dropbox icons next to it suggest it has not been able to sync some files. I have attached a screenshot of the folder structure to give you an idea.

The best I can do right now is export the file, which I have done, but that is currently my only backup and it doesn’t have my notes.

Any help is much appreciated. This is a huge project and I would be destroyed if I lost it. Thanks.
Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 20.17.40.png

Well, that was a quick and weird fix.

I had a poke around to see if it was that one file, 219_notes.rtf, that was causing the issue since it was the only one in the Docs folder that was marked as unsynced. I located which scene it was in Scrivener and there were no notes present for the scene (I honestly can’t remember if there should have been). But I just typed in anything in the notes, then saved. Then I quit and Scrivener backed up with no problem. Dropbox is synced and I am less panicked!

Glad to hear you got things running again.

There are some artefacts of various old processes and syncing mishaps as well that could probably deserve going through and cleaning up. Those “foldername\” files for example are useless. You only need a “QuickLook” folder, not a file called “QuickLook\” along with another file called “QuickLook?” (with the latter thing being a strange symbol that Finder can’t display properly). You’ll note Dropbox is struggling to work with some of them as well.

Another thing to look for are those files marked as being conflicted in parentheses. Those are from times when the project was accidentally edited in two locations without syncing. The search.indexes, .autosave, .backup and .lock file conflicts are all unimportant—I’d just discard the conflicted ones. The .scrivx might be important though, as that is where all of the binder data is stored.

Naturally make a backup copy of your project before cleaning out these duplicate files.

Thanks! I’ll have a look at those.