Scrivener Stops working after upgrade

Just wrote a mail to scrivener support, but no answer till now.

My Problem, after Upgrade i get a message, my Scrivener User is Blacklisted, i’m supprised, because i bought it at saturday last week.

Where can i start searching for the problem???

Torsten

OK, fixed it by myself. I’m not sure what went wrong, i had to remove the whole app (including the files under library) and reinstalled, reentered my Serial, now its working…

OK…

torstenbrumm

Throw out the file com.literatureandlatte.scrivener.plist in your personal Preferences folder.

Download a fresh copy of Scrivener 1.02 from MacDownload.com

Install it and use your serial.

It should work OK.

EDIT - Ahh! You beat me by less than 60 seconds. Great News. Can’t have Scrivener users floundering.

Just a small notice. I compared the file: com.literatureandlatte.scrivener.plist before i removed all and after the new installation. They really looked different, possbly it came from a crash this mornnig…

Glad you fixed it. Not sure why you had this issue. I did reply to your e-mail, but bear in mind that I do sleep and work a dayjob so I can’t always answer immediately. :slight_smile:
Best,
Keith

And with the amount of work you’ve been putting into Scrivener lately I don’t imagine there’s too much else going on. :smiley: