Scrivener style's “draw a box around text” option, and more...

Greetings AmberV and nontroppo,

Preamble…

Let me begin for thank you both for all the proceeding help you have given. (Ref: Nitty-Gritty below.) Much has been given and received with much appreciation. Thank you.

First an aside » I recognize the following breaks with conventional rules of “proper etiquette’s” “proper writing style””. You are invited in the fun of that comes with following nature’s non-binary power patterns, and more…
AmberV & nontroppo, I’m back with another iteration of what can now be conveyed as

An Overview…

Is there any way to take the colored box created in the Scrivener writing / editing space’s via styles—created by the “draw a box around the text” option found in the Format > Style > New Style Highlight Box, and elsewhere—and have that transfer via File > Compile command to a .rtfd file*?

*1. Our previous interaction did a great job of transferring multicolored colored boxes each containing its individual text, and transmitting such diversity to web-ready .html files
*2. Much of my writing for the public via blog posts and other .html formatted environments has evolved to include an adjacent email based option. Importantly, our readers appreciate our style of email writing that doesn’t encumber them via forced to accept (or leveraged) email attachments or data link back fused emails and other data harvesting systems our competitors are wedding—of which we will have no part of.

Key Takeaway(s)…

1. I recognize this request may reach into territory beyond Scrivener’s present scope. If so, please record this as feature request. You folks are great at upcycling a “crazy request” in viable reality(s) in future iterations of Scrivener.

And for that, I am most grateful.

1. I like the offset this “draw a box around text” option presents better than line by line highlighting presented via the Format > Highlighting option.

2. The “draw a box around text” option’s “justify the text” capabilities is also noticeable and appreciated.

The Nitty-Gritty…

1. Here are related discussions that came before

[code]- how to code ordered lists within <span> via markdown for wordpress & free standing .html files?

1. In previous iterations we figured out a way for me to use Scrivener to demonstrate to others in narrow-scoped written form, the broader, non-binary contextual patterns of order Nature signals to us all. The operating environment was Scrivener to html to displayed web pages. agnetic.com/articles holds a smattering of public examples. Many more private examples has been keeping my systems entrainment business going for years.

2. An aside: If you are in search of a unifying theme to what may appear at the surface as chaos, we suggest this idiom:
    Our willingness to demonstrate to others in narrow-scoped form—written and more…—the broader, non-binary contextual patterns of order Nature signals to us all.

I too have found the “draw a box around text” feature to be useful, in my case as a way to simplify the Scrivener/LaTeX code in my project.

In particular, with LaTeX code that can be at times a bit eye-watering in complexity, the “draw a box around text” feature can add a subtle, color coded meme such as when I needed to distinguish between code that is ‘strong’ from code that is merely ‘bold’ in an existing 300+ page Scrivener/LaTeX project.

A particularly useful (and powerful) feature is the ability to apply the color coded meme available with the “draw a box around text” feature retroactively to all the ‘strong’ code in my project, an obvious nod to the knowledge and experience of Scrivener’s author(s?). With over 300 pages in my Scrivener project, without this retroactive feature, applying the color coding meme to each ‘strong’ occurrence after-the-fact would have been a non-starter.

As a nod toward a possible new feature for the next version of Scrivener, I’ve looked at the ‘Export Format’ feature that provides a way to save, transfer and backup Styles in the LaTeX (Memoir Book) format for my project. I’m sure there are those who can look at the code within the Scrivener ‘.scrformat’ export file and understand all that is there; I am not one of them.

I’ve just recently taken the plunge with Scapple, and I was wondering if there might be a way to convert Scrivener’s ‘.scrformat’ export file into an English-language Scapple file, either as an embedded Scrivener option, or as an option available within Scapple, or as a separate app entirely.

My list of Project Format Styles continues to grow as I add useful features. My library of such features would benefit if I could export an English-readable listing of all the Styles I have created for my Scrivener book project.

Thank you,
scrive
:slight_smile:

Scrive,

Thanks for the contribute.

I like your "a subtle, color coded meme " comment. That’s exactly what I’m going for that traditional highlighting doesn’t deliver.

“” feature retroactively" is also a feature I seek—now that you mention it.

I’m holding out there may be a short-term coding option I can use, regardless the option to be able to provide subtle color coded boxes around selected text remains a focus.

Thanks again.

@kadso,

Thank you for the feedback.

The flexibility built into Scrivener has been immensely helpful.

Everything from the available color wheel to create the "subtle, color coded meme"s to the retroactive coloring of the Format > Styles (including the ability to create our own Format > Styles in the first place, and then adjust the "subtle, color coded meme"s at any time) are just part of the layers of knowledge and experience in writing that are expressed in the Scrivener code.

I’ve discussed how I’ve created new Format > Styles here on L&L ([url]comparison to other word processors and writing tools]). I continue to do so.

I can easily see how my list of Format > Styles can become harder to manage which is why I offered a suggestion to have the option to export “Scrivener’s ‘.scrformat’ export file into an English-language Scapple file, either as an embedded Scrivener option, or as an option available within Scapple, or as a separate app entirely.”

I offer such an option for long term consideration, if ever; in the short term, I continue in amazement at Scrivener’s depth and breadth.

Thanks again,
scrive
:smiley: