Scrivener Templates for Wiley, World Scientific, etc.

Just be careful how soon you switch over to (e.g.) Word from Scrivener – especially if you’re using Scrivener (as I am) in a markdown+Pandoc+pandoc-crossref workflow that automatically numbers chapters, sections, equations, etc. I would much rather work to incorporate an editor’s comments into my master Scrivener project than have to renumber a bunch of equations and references thereto in Word.

2 Likes

That is precisely why I started this thread. Early in the editing, we were moving chapters around and rearranging figures. It was a lot of work to renumber everything all the time. I tried to make changes in Scrivener to renumber the sections and figures, recompile, run VBA macros, touch up by hand, re-edit, and repeat, but it was far more work than the benefit I got from using Scrivener. I would have been better off doing it entirely in Word, even though Scrivener is better for the first draft. I am hoping to square the circle and do most of it in Scrivener but it appears the process has not changed and next time I will do far less of the work in Scrivener if any.

You can use automatic numbering in Scrivener, either using the built-in placeholders, or one of a range of cross-referencing systems if you use Scrivener+Pandoc. This allows you full freedom to rearrange the manuscript and not worry at all about numbers, there would be no work involved if you had used this feature / workflow…

There are many ways to compile with Scrivener, and your perspective only applies to one of those ways. Wiley offers a LaTeX template, and this can be used by Pandoc, so you could have a workflow using Wiley’s template direct from Scrivener without extra fussing, as an example.

4 Likes