Scrivener user died: looking for extremely simple basic read-only overview of Scrivener for estate executors and heirs

hello,
A prolific user of Scrivener died. He stored all kinds of important information pertaining to home and business in the form of documents (explanatory notes) and a wide range of external files (mostly PDFs). I imagine that with time these kind of situations will become more common.
The not very computer savvy (basic understanding of Mac OS and fluent in specific apps like MS Word and Excel) estate executor and heirs have access to his Mac and need to review those Scrivener files for the sole purpose of finding and reading both Scrivener native and external documents which were imported (not synced). They specifically need to understand how to navigate the binder, view docs, perform searches, and probably other things like opening external docs.
I have been using Scrivener for many years, but before I waste any time on the tedious task of writing a small synopsis to help them read through the Scrivener files, I was wondering if there is perhaps something already out there that I could use in whole or in part.
thanks in advance for your time and help

I’m sorry to hear that.

You may want to point them towards some of our tutorial videos: literatureandlatte.com/lear … s?os=macOS

Or specific pages/sections of the manual (which is in the Help menu).

Man! I can think of much better and more secure applications for life management note taking! I know the damage is done in this case, and it works to the benefit of those who have to clean up after the deceased, but seriously folks, don’t do that!

thank you. It’s what I wanted to avoid. Please keep in mind that they have many other fish to fry. I will have to write something myself. thanks for your comment.

To protect the archives and if you’ve not yet, tell the executor and heirs to not open and close the project(s) till they’ve checked the automatic backup settings.

It’s the first thing I did. thanks very much.

Navigating the binder isn’t hard, but they may be presented with a variety of UI configurations (split editors, copyholders, Scrivenings mode…). So you’ll want to instruct them on how to reset the interface for each project to something simple: Binder open, 1 Editor window, and not much else.

You might also point them to the File → Export → Files command. That will dump everything out of the project into Finder-accessible documents, while leaving the project itself untouched in case they want to look at it after the dust settles.

Please don’t hesitate to point them to our support address in case they need specific help and don’t want to post in a public forum. literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Katherine

thank you very much

very good suggestions ! thank you

I should know the answer after so many years. If they do mess up the configuration, such as hide binder, etc what is the simplest way to reset the view to binder + editor: just quit and restart Scrivener ?

Window > Layouts perhaps?

:slight_smile:

Mark