Scrivener user manual ebook . . .

It would be useful to me to have the Scrivener user manual as a mobi ebook. Has this been done? Assuming that the current PDF manual was done on Scrivener, it would seem that compiling it into ebook format(s) might be fairly straight forward. I do realize that time and other projects might be the constraint.

PB

It would be good and is slated for the future, but the trouble is that Ioa writes the manual using MultiMarkdown, and currently .mobi and .epub export don’t support MultiMarkdown. We hope to include MMD->ebook support in the future sometime, which would make this easier.
All the best,
Keith

I’ll give it some thought. Whatever happens, it probably won’t be for a two or three months, realistically. It’s not as straight-forward as you would think, because the manual uses the MMD end of Scrivener, which at the moment has no direct route to either e-book publishing mechanism without a bunch of punctuation ending up in the final product.

On update: Yeah, what Keith said. :slight_smile:

Hi, I am brand new to the Scrivener world. I want to read the user manual when not at my desk, so I put the PDF in my Evernote account and it syncs with my iPod Touch. This may be a premium feature (I am a premium user), but if you’re a free user I believe you can do the above, then just pick that notebook as a favorite and it will stay on your device, online or not.
Maripat

Same trick applies to Dropbox. If you are using the mobile Dropbox client and place the user manual PDF into a Dropbox folder, from the mobile client you can “star it”, which will cache the file locally to the device giving you access at any time. What I do is import the PDF into iAnnotate—but generally when I put the user manual on my iPad, it’s to proofread it, so having commentary tools available is important. Access to the PDF table of contents is nice, too.

If you’re using iOS, you can install it on your iBooks. Simply drag the .pdf file into iTunes on your computer, then sync that with your iPad (either by automatic sync or dragging that title onto your iPad). Then it’s right there in the iBooks pdf section. The Table of Contents links work perfectly.

(However, there’s no annotation for PDFs in iBooks–although it’s been hinted at as coming.)

I tried using Amazon’s converters to change Scrivener’s PDF manual into a mobi file on my Kindle 3. The result was a horrible mess. Scratch that idea.

Then I simply emailed that PDF to my Kindle via Amazon and the result is much better. The formatting is retained and, although the text is very small, it’s still readable on that marvelous epaper screen. The only hitch is that the contents doesn’t jump to pages. I have to get the page number from the contents and enter it into Go To/Page.

You can also use USB to move that PDF into the documents folder on your Kindle. In either case you may find you have a workable portable version of the Scrivener manual.

You can get the manual here:

literatureandlatte.com/support.php

An added remark: Display the manual’s PDF in landscape mode and even on the little Kindle 3 the letters are easily large enough to read. The only downside is that it takes three hits of the page button to see one page.

[b]By the way, my Kindle’s proving to be a quite handy way to proof what I’ve written. It has a different, paper-like look to it that makes typos more visible, but it doesn’t have the costs of paper or printing. It’s also far easier to carry about than a stack of pages.

One more advantage. Set up things with friends, and you can email drafts to one another for mutual critiquing. You simply have to authorize each other’s email address on everyone’s Kindle setup page. There’s no charge for the transfer if you’re using WiFi.[/b]

–Michael W. Perry, editor of Eugenics and Other Evils