Scrivener v 1.50 update hangs!

I just downloaded the v 1.50 update (am now on v 1.11) on the prompt when I opened Scrivener to work this morning. Once downloaded, I hit the “Update and Relaunch” button. The program went into update mode, saying “Installing Update.” It has now (9:14 am USA EST) been longer than TEN minutes and I still have the blue barber pole and no Scrivener. I’m afraid to Force Quit - I don’t want to damage my v 1.11 app. HELP!

I had exactly the same problem for around an hour.
Finally I quit Scrivener, relaunched and checked “Check for Updates” under the Scrivener menu, which told me I am bang up to date with Version 1.50.
Keith, is there any way I can check that everything has installed correctly?

Ike

Exactly the same experience as Ike in my case. Installation hangs, quit and relaunch, check for updates - magically I have version 1.5

Cheers Mike

Same experience here.

It happened to me too.

I opened up a file and it wouldnt ! Came up with an error message: not suitable for architecture.
I then tried opening Scrivener from applications and it was logoed out.

I canned Scrivener and downloaded the fresh version and all seems hynky dory.

I must admit I was scared. So much work invested in this program…

Paul
I do not smell of the sewer

Likewise on the hang. Software update says I have latest version. And everything seems to be working fine.

Ok, I finally Force Quit the install, after more than half an hour of spinning barber poles. Then I noticed the Trash was full. When I looked, I found my v 1.1.1 there, and v 1.5 in the Applications folder. The new version opened normally, and all seems well.

So what apparently happened is that the program updated successfully but failed to dismiss the “Updating” barber pole and window.

I’d call this a bug, if only because of the anxiety it causes us poor faithful users.

I am aware of this and am working on it. For now, just quit when it hangs and restart - 1.5 should be installed fine.

Possibly relevant additional symptom. I had the same experience described by others, but am also seeing the following message when attempting to create a new project.

“This project was either not closed properly or is currently open on another machine. Please note that if the same project is open on two machines concurrently, data could be lost. Before the project can be opened its search strings need re-synchronising. This process could take several minutes. Continue?”

I have only one machine.

FWIW,
ydkm

That just means that it wasn’t closed properly - because you had to force quit.

The problem should now be fixed. There was a file missing in 1.5’s version of the Sparkle framework which I use for updating, which meant that it couldn’t relaunch the app. If you’ve already downloaded, this should make no difference to updating in future, but if you want to be sure you could re-download the DMG from the main product page. I would recommend re-installing the Extras anyway, as otherwise creating projects from the old templates may result in getting the “project was not closed properly” because of changes between 1.11 and 1.50.

All the best,
Keith