Scrivener vs World Anvil

If he just wanted to inform Scrivener users of an interesting application he could have just mentioned it on the Software and Development forum. “Hey, here is an interesting software that you may find useful, take a look.” Like I recently did for Milanote Milanote

Instead he was trying to push the application by telling us it was better than what we are already using and going into great detail like a … salesman.

I found his whole approach off putting. Seemed very fake and thinking we were so dumb as to believe his story that he had been lurking for years etc.

And then when I point out that World Anvil’s FAQ itself says that it is not remotely similar to Scrivener he tries to backpedal. He stepped on a landmine and tried to blame World Anvil for not knowing what they were about. It was very strange.

I thought that SirPixel’s post was very helpful. I’d never heard of World Anvil and the only things I know about it are from his post, but I actually learnt enough from the stated pros and cons to learn that it wouldn’t be for me, mainly because I don’t see the items SirPixel listed as Scrivener cons to be disadvantages, nor the WA pros to be advantages.

In particular, for my personal lifestyle / personality, I find the idea of web-based software unappealing. I have complete control over whether I have my devices with me or not, but have only some control over whether I have internet connectivity with me, and even less control over that access’s speed / reliability. It’s much easier for me to just always have my laptop with me than it is to worry about connectivity if there’s any chance I’ll want to do any kind of writing, and in all other times I have the iOS version on me perfectly synced for reference (so, you can absolutely access your files on your phone or iPad via the Scrivener app).

I’d also say that Scrivener is fantastic for collaboration – assuming you know how to collaborate effectively and don’t just mean having someone remotely watch you type so they can heckle and/or interupt. I’ve overseen and co-authored 10 and a half books (each with between 24 and 80 different authors) over the past ten years, using both the Mac and Windows versions of Scrivener, so know a bit of what I’m talking about here.

I’d also say that Scrivener is amazing value for money! I actually won my original Scriv licence in a competion, but it sounds like over the time period I’ve been using Scrivener, using World Anvil would have cost me over $1,050! That’s over 20 times what Scrivener would have cost me if I’d not been lucky enough to win a copy (and would keep going up!) , or over 40 times if you’ve got something like a NaNoWriMo winner’s discount code!

If someone was interested in creating a massive fantasy world, I can see how World Anvil would work out pretty well. I wouldn’t see it as necessarily a competitor to Scrivener but maybe a great companion to it for someone interested in such an endeavor. They even seem to allude to that in their FAQ when they basically say Scrivener is good for writing and organizing manuscripts and that World Anvil is more of a fantasy world database. While I am currently working on something else, I was once interested in building a fantasy world like this and may be again so thank you for sharing this.

I can really see this being useful for someone who is writing a high fantasy novel from scratch. Use the World Anvil software as like a wiki of sorts for your world and Scrivener to do all the actual writing keep the manuscript itself organized and abstracted away. Honestly sounds like a high fantasy writer’s dream software setup.

A bit of warning I have for anyone using online software for their creative work, even those that claim privacy - be careful. One thing about software like this is that all your work is stored on someone else’s servers and you take them at their word they won’t steal or lose your data. Ideally those services encrypt data at rest and in transit as a mere basic security rule but unfortunately many of them don’t. That is one of the great things about Scrivener. All your work is stored offline (unless you explicitly store it somewhere online) on YOUR computer where you are able to ensure its security.

IMO, when I went to check out World Anvil a little while back, it was kind of confusing to understand what the “comfortable” pricing model would be for the “best-bang-for-the-buck” blend of features to price. Additionally, since the site is in so much flux, with so many items on the roadmap versus in the reality bucket of being things you can use-- I wasn’t sure what I would actually be getting.

That isn’t as much a “complaint” as it is a “lament”, meaning I’d like to know more / get a better understanding of whether World Anvil could be right for me, but felt like it was hard to get a straight view of what it is without investing more time & energy than I have into chasing it down.