Scrivener-wide label?

Is it possible to set a label that would appear in every Scrivener project?

I’d like to have a green “Current” label that I could always use, that would save me from mixing up drafts, and allow me to go directly to the document/s I’m now using in a project. It’s a bit of a pain to have to set it for every project.

You can do this by amending the Project Template(s) you use to create new projects. If you use more than one template, then you’ll need to set it up in each one, of course.

Easiest way to do this is to start a new project using the relevant template. Make the changes you need to the labels (and anything else you fancy), then File > Save As Template… and give it a relevant name. I just use the name of the original template and add my initials (eg. Novel DB). Make sure you enter the correct category (e.g. Fiction)…

The new template will be saved into Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Project Templates and be available next time you choose File > New Project.

Thanks very much, Brookter, I’ll do that for the future.

Is there any way to add this retrospectively?

Also, if I’ve done this, is there any way of making further edits to the template?

Project templates are just ordinary projects with specific default options set up in advance to avoid having to redo them each time (in fact, exact your scenario). There’s no mechanism to ‘reapply’ a template, as far as I know.

Re-editing a template is exactly the same process as before.

Say you’ve created your new template (‘My novel template’) in Fiction.

Create a new file from ‘My novel template’ and call it something (‘Temp.scriv’ will do…*), make your changes, then File > Save As Template… If you use the same template name, then ‘My novel template’ will be over-written; if you use a new name, then a new template will be created with that name and you’ll still be able to use the old one.

BTW you can’t save changes to a built-in template, which is why you had to use a new template name in my first post. You can edit ‘your’ templates as many times as you like.

• Once you’ve saved the amended template, you can get rid of the temporary ‘Temp.scriv’ file if you want.

It might be worth looking in the manual at templates (Section 7.7) – there are a few more things they can do beyond the basics we’ve discussed here.

Thanks!