Scrivener Windows and Mac functionality

I know this question has been asked, but I am still confused on the matter.

Whenever Scrivener 3 comes out for the Windows Platform (like, the full version) will there be tutorials out there discussing how to open MAC Scrivener 3 projects in the Windows version of Scrivener 3? Will it be as easy as linking the respective dropbox account to the Windows software, and then everything will be synced? Or is there more to it than that?

Absolutely. I already do that with my Windows-using collaborator in China. We have to use Sync, as Dropbox is blocked in China, but, apart from that, there’s no difference. She’s using the current beta and everything is totally straightforward. She opens the projects in the usual Windows way double-clicking the .scrivx; I open the projects in my usual Mac way.

:slight_smile:

Mark

Oh ok. So when you do open up your project in Windows, does everything show up the same way? Like, the images, documents, does all of it sync correctly when using the Windows platform on the Scrivener 3 project? Also, is there a specific time as to when Scrivener 3 will be released for Windows? I don’t mind the wait, but my main machine is a Windows computer and I’d definitely prefer to use it for writing, not to say there’s anything wrong with the Mac version. The Mac version of Scrivener 3 is excellent and perfect for my needs, I hope Windows 10 gets the full version soon.

Absolutely, though not counting the difference in graphic performance and appearance, like font rendering, of the devices being used.

In fact, over the last few days, I have been opening the major project we are currently collaborating on to develop a Compile Format for her. Because Mac Compile Formats cannot be used directly in the Windows version (I understand, or maybe at least for the present) I have been opening the project using the same Windows Beta 16 as she uses, but running it under CrossOver, a GUI version of WINE.

The main differences I’ve had to work with are the differences in shortcut mappings—Compile being Alt-Cmd-E on the Mac but Shift-Ctrl-E on Windows for instance—and the slight differences in menu assignments—File > Options in Windows; Scrivener > Preferences on the Mac. The project in question is one where she is translating an English novel into Chinese; in itself it has no images, but to answer some of her questions I have found it best to include appropriate images in the Research Folder … they open perfectly in both environments.

All-in-all, I think you need have no fear. But no, Lit&Lat do not give predictions of release dates; they’ll release Windows 3 when they think it’s ready. But you could install the Beta on your Windows machine and give it a test run, using a copy of your WIP if you want to be careful. There are still bugs being found and hopefully squashed, but the only thing that Shirley found she couldn’t do was compile a good copy of her translation some weeks ago to get feedback from colleagues and friends over there. So I produced a compiled copy for her on my Mac. As I say, three or so new betas since then and I have a compile format set up for her to use, the only thing being it doesn’t retain Section Layout assignments between sessions, something that the team are aware of.

:slight_smile:

Mark